Laney IRT 60 with Vintage 30 2x12s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney IRT 60 with Vintage 30 2x12s

The irt 60 I have sounds great through the standard Laney 4x12 cab but I'm wondering if running this through a vintage 30 2x12 would make the rhythm channel smoother and more British in character. I have a feeling that with the right cab the rhythm channel can sounder smoother and less grainy. Any body have experience with this?

Sent from my SCL22 using Tapatalk

Re: Laney IRT 60 with Vintage 30 2x12s

The current setup

Comment

What does the Laney cab have in it?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

HH drivers. Laney's own brand. 80 watts x 4

Last edited by atf; 01-22-2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

You know, Laney is a british company. Technically it's the british sound right out of the box haha

The vintage 30s will definitely improve the sound, you just have to ask yourself if that's what the amp really needs, a darker speaker.

Comment

Can't say I would ever think of the V30 as "smoother and less grainy" than…well…anything at all.
            Originally posted by Aceman
            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
              You know, Laney is a british company. Technically it's the british sound right out of the box haha

The vintage 30s will definitely improve the sound, you just have to ask yourself if that's what the amp really needs, a darker speaker.
              Lol . The irt comes with 6l6s, and isn't as bright as some British amp, although it can be EQed to sound like bright, I think the cab is a big factor.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
                Can't say I would ever think of the V30 as "smoother and less grainy" than…well…anything at all.
                Haha, you obviously haven't tried the HH Ironheart speakers, then.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-24-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

The HH speakers have a very pronounced response in the high-end. Way too much IMO, and definitely more so than V30s, which have a high-mid spike that's nowhere near as annoying as the HH speakers.
                  V30s will be smoother in comparison, though pretty far from "creamy" or anything like that.

I tried those HH speakers in a Laney 2x12 with a IRT60 and if I'm honest I strongly disliked it, but the IRT did sound smoother through a Eminence Wizard loaded cab, which is acknowledged as a peaky speaker by it's own right. So there you go.
                  Last edited by Diego; 01-24-2016, 10:57 AM.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Ages ago I had a similar quest with a different cab (4x12") and a different Laney amp (AOR). A quad of Celestion Greenbacks solved it for me, let's say forever. As for a 2x12", take a look at Creambacks. A pair of them would be a nice fit to a 60W amp.

Other than that, with the push-pull EQ pots and presence you can drastically decrease the harshness of the stock HHs. Sure, a solution of changing speakers that doesn't require doctoring would open the range of the amp quite much as it did with the AOR for me in another time, another galaxy. Damn I'm old.
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      The HH speakers have a very pronounced response in the high-end. Way too much IMO, and definitely more so than V30s, which have a high-mid spike that's nowhere near as annoying as the HH speakers.
                      V30s will be smoother in comparison, though pretty far from "creamy" or anything like that.

I tried those HH speakers in a Laney 2x12 with a IRT60 and if I'm honest I strongly disliked it, but the IRT did sound smoother through a Eminence Wizard loaded cab, which is acknowledged as a peaky speaker by it's own right. So there you go.
                      Any experience with a Marshall 1912 cab? I'm just asking cause there is one going for 200 bucks at my local store.

Comment

Eminence Legends are pretty smooth.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by atf View Post
                          Any experience with a Marshall 1912 cab? I'm just asking cause there is one going for 200 bucks at my local store.

No experience with those here, man.
                          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            Haha, you obviously haven't tried the HH Ironheart speakers, then.
                            Got me there.
                            Originally posted by Aceman
                            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Working...
                            X