6v6 in a El84 amp using a ND adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v6 in a El84 amp using a ND adapter

The power section of my Jet city could use some more headroom for sure, as u can't go past volume at 6 until I start getting crunchy, even with no preamp gain.

I noticed when researching this topic that there are adapters for 6v6 tubes in a El84 socket. 6v6 tubes are know for having much more headroom

I'm guessing I would need to know if my output transformer is powerful enough to run 6v6 tubes, and definitely rebais the amp. What other considerations would I need to make?

Just thinking out loud, and I'm probably missing something obvious
    Last edited by TRex; 01-23-2016, 03:52 PM.

Re: 6v6 in a El84 amp using a ND adapter

Definitely interesting.

I wish more amp manufacturers would use 6V6s rather than EL84s for their low-watt amps. That EL84 sound certainly has its place but it's EVERYWHERE now.
    Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
      Definitely interesting.

I wish more amp manufacturers would use 6V6s rather than EL84s for their low-watt amps. That EL84 sound certainly has its place but it's EVERYWHERE now.
      Yea, I love the preamp drive and the el84 sound fine on drive, but no headroom.

I wish they would make a el84 style tube that is 6v6/el34/6l6 socket, and make it interchangeable with 6v6. Options for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

The output transformer is not the only issue here. The power transformer also has to be solid enough to handle the added heater current of 6V6's, and you probably won't get the full power of 6V6's because the output transformer's impedance is designed to match that of EL84's.

Have you tried other higher headroom EL84's? I think Sovtek makes a more robust EL84 called the EL84M.

Keep in mind you probably won't get completely pristine clean tones at band volumes out of a 20W amp. Not even my 20W Krank running on 6L6's does that. Is this the JCA20H or the JCA22H? Cause the JCA20H's one channel is definitely not got high headroom starting from the preamp stage anyway.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-24-2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          The output transformer is not the only issue here. The power transformer also has to be solid enough to handle the added heater current of 6V6's, and you probably won't get the full power of 6V6's because the output transformer's impedance is designed to match that of EL84's.

Have you tried other higher headroom EL84's? I think Sovtek makes a more robust EL84 called the EL84M.

Keep in mind you probably won't get completely pristine clean tones at band volumes out of a 20W amp. Not even my 20W Krank running on 6L6's does that. Is this the JCA20H or the JCA22H? Cause the JCA20H's one channel is definitely not got high headroom starting from the preamp stage anyway.
          It's a JCA2212C aka JCA22H combo

I would have to look up specs of how much extra the transformer has and how much

El84M looks promising

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
            Definitely interesting.

I agree!!! I've got several "little valves" AKA 5W-30W tube heads or combos & most of them run off EL84's in an attempt to give you that great valve distortion in a smaller package, unfortunately most fall short. Out of all my amps my absolute favorite & the one that is probably the most versatile (as long as you like pedals, especially for your dirt) is my Ibanez TS15. It runs off 2 6V6's in the power section & 2 12AX7's in the preamp section. It's also pound for pound by far the cheapest one I've bought new but I got a crazy deal on it!

I bought mine from Sweetwater for a ridiculously low price of $300! I know what your thinking, $300 is what that head goes for new? They do, but I got the head & the 1X12 cabinet for $300 brand new, normally they would cost $500 together! I'm still not sure why I got it so cheap? The only thing I can think of is mine is black & most come in a antique white. Maybe they decided that they were only going to go with the white ones, Sweetwater had some in black and wanted to dump them fast? Whatever right, I got an amazing head/cabinet for an incredible price & I.M.H.O. they look much better in black anyhow. I did buy the larger 2X12 in white a short time later because of how impressed I was with the 1x12 & their respective prices!

The actual Tubescreamer circuit in this single CH amp kinda sucks so it's best to judge it for what it is & not get too cought up with the TS aspect of it. As a clean amp it's got a beautiful tone with LOTS of headroom & it takes pedals extremely well! Whether you run them through the loop or out in front it, she just takes pedals extremely well!!!

The head is switchable from 5W-15W & it does come with a 2 button foot switch, one for the T.S. circuit & another for a 6 D.B. boost. I should mention the TS circuit isn't useless, it's just not as good as the real thing? You can get some very cool vintage dirty tones with it alone and the 6DB boost is absolutely awesome!!! Please excuse the pics, I'm running the head through my 2X12 & my Tiny Terror through the black 1X12 that originally came with it. They are just up for reference, I'm sure you can figure out what's what...

So if anyone is in the market for a great 6V6 amp that's got a lot of headroom for not much money & they want something that's just as good for Jazz and Chicken Pickin as it is for Thrash Metal and Classic Rock I definitely recommend having a look at these guys!!! If it came with reverb it would be perfect & if it has a downfall that's it but did I mention "they take pedals very well" LOL!!!
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

There are a few NOS E84L tubes floating around from back in the day.
              I have been waiting for someone to reissue that one, or just create a new one based on it.
              They have more headroom.
              Less top end in some amps.
              They definitely Have their own character.
              They pop up in NOS sales from all the usual suspects.
              Doug's tubes
              Tube depot
              Tube Store
              etc, etc.
              They tend to last from what I have seen.

Comment

This is a cool idea. I use a Mesa Blue Angel that uses 2-6v6s and 4-EL84s together or separately. Lotsa great sounds.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Maybe try a lower value negative feedback resistor? This would increase the negative feedback and prevent the poweramp from breaking up so soon. Also, trying a 12AU7 or 12AY7 in the phase inverter position can increase headroom, since the PI is the first tube in the poweramp and contributes to breakup. The drawback would slightly less volume.
                  Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
                  X