Weber Speakers for 5E3 Deluxe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Speakers for 5E3 Deluxe Build

A Celestion Alnico Blue speaker is out of my price range.

I can read the product descriptions of the Weber 12A125, 12A125-A and 12A125-S, but just don't have a feel for which is the best choice for this circuit. Think Strat and Tele for blues and relatively clean rock.

Anybody have experience with 2 or 3 of these Webers that can give me some insight?

Thanks,
    Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Re: Weber Speakers for 5E3 Deluxe Build

Personally I like the 12a125s or the 12a150t. Both are loud and bright but fatter than many others

Comment

I have a 12A125. It depends on what your application would be.
      It's a fantastic speaker, but with a Tele and 5E3 ... it may be overly bright. Even with humbuckers I find it to be really, really bright with my Champ.
      On the other hand, it REALLY cuts through a mix. I am sure this is far removed from the sound and application you will be using, but this recording was tracked live using my Champ clone with the 12A125 and 2 humbucker-equippped guitars. The first couple of minutes will demonstrate what I am describing should it be too difficult to make it through all 18 minutes of meandering prog.

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks T.O. Your comments and sound clip helped a lot. I don't need to cut thru a mix. Seems like the 12A125 would be too bright for me.

Here's the feedback I got from Weber:
        Originally posted by CJ
        12A100T is like a lighter-duty version of the 12A125A

12A125S is more mid-60’s in tonality, more “medium” in all ways, with a very vintage Oxford kind of sound. i like this in a 5E3 if you’re not after the authentic woody/reedy one-trick-pony thing that the 12A125A does. the S is more versatile in my opinion, but the A is more authentic.
        So do I want the more "authentic woody/reedy one trick pony" or the more the "more versatile" 12A125-S with "warmer, moderate low end, medium breakup"?

NOT a serious question! I don't know. Wish I could try both and send one back. Picking speakers is almost as difficult as finding the right woman!

Thanks guys,

Chip
        Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone

Comment

speakers are easier to get rid of than women

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            speakers are easier to get rid of than women
            Ain't that the truth! Heck, you might even get some of your money back

Chip

Comment

How about the alnico with the hemp cone option?
              That should give you the alnico sponge as well as a fat bottom end.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

You might want to listen to the sound bytes of the WGS speakers.
                My favorite speakers for my 5E3 clone head are the Reaper HP and Retro 30 paired in a 2X12 cab. I'd probably pick the Reaper Hp for a 1X12.

From my experience, the WGS are warmer than many Eminence speakers (Wizard and Swamp Thang) which in turn are warmer than similar Celestions (V30 and G12H55) I've tried. I have 2X12 cabs for all three of these pairings. Can't help with the Webers as I've never even played one.

Sorry to throw in another alternative if you weren't interested in any.

Comment

The Celestion Alnico Blues and the Weber Alnico Blue Dogs are identical to my ear and the 10" Alnico Blue Pups are half the price of the Blue Dogs. You'll have a tighter sound with the 10"'s anyways. $95 a pop.

Comment

Working...
                  X