banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One heads pre into anothers power via effect send/return question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One heads pre into anothers power via effect send/return question.

I may be picking up a Marshall 9000 series Pre-amp to mess around with, and I've been doing a little research on the rack stuff as I've never messed with the it..

Looks like I'd be able to go from the 9000 into one of my amps effect returns, bypassing the amps pre.

My question is could I go from my OR-15's pre (send) into my Mesa Express's power section (return), or visa-versa?

First, I want to make sure no damage will occur. Second, will it make anything sound different/interesting?

Re: One heads pre into anothers power via effect send/return question.

Should be able to.

If you run a/the pre-amp thru the front of the amp,you'll have access to the tone controls,as well.
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

You can do that? I've read that you shouldn't run a pre-amp into the front of an amp. I could've read wrong though.

Actually my question on the Orange and Mesa wouldn't involve the Marshall 9000 preamp. I was just wondering about the two amps..... pre-ing one into the others power section.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
        You can do that? I've read that you shouldn't run a pre-amp into the front of an amp. I could've read wrong though.

Actually my question on the Orange and Mesa wouldn't involve the Marshall 9000 preamp. I was just wondering about the two amps..... pre-ing one into the others power section.
        Running one amp's preamp into another amp (either input or effects return) is fine; just be sure to have a load connected to the first amp if it's a tube amp.

A few other things to think about:
        - Not all amp's tone controls are before the effects loop. The Marshall Jubilee and Soldano SLO have their tone controls after the loop for example.
        - Watch the preamp levels. If you're running the preamp into another amp's input you'll end up with A LOT more saturation than you're bargaining for if the levels are set too high. Also some amps' master volumes are located BEFORE the effects send. The Marshall DSL series and my H&K Edition Tube are set up this way and you could have a very loud surprise if the preamp's level is set hot.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

^ Dystrust is right on the above points. Some further points:

-Although I wouldn't double up on the preamps (in my experience sounds like turds), try it and see! Just watch your input level. A good way to test is run it through the clean channel first so you can hear how hard your slamming it better.

-If your using two heads, make sure you have a load connected if tube (doubling up on dystrust here cause its so ****ing important)

-I'm not going to look into it too much, but be aware of the effect loop send and return levels. Most rack mount (Marshall 9000 included) can switch between instrument (-10) and line (+4) levels. Check the manual of the 'power amp' to see what they are operating at if not switchable. Match best you can for the best noise ratio etc.

It says in one one mesa express manual that the loop is 'optimized for professional quality rack mount processors' which makes me think it is +4, but they don't have a spec sheet or anything in there so I cannot say for certain. It's also a series loop which is what you want for this application as well.

Good luck
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Comment

To go even further into anal-retentive detail, make sure BOTH amps have a cabinet attached, assuming the Orange is all tube (preamp and power). I don't think a head that has a tube preamp and solid state power requires a cabinet, but amps heads with a tube power section definitely do.

Personally I wouldn't run a head or rack preamp into the preamp of a head, unless said preamp was specifically designed for that application (like an MXR preamp pedal or the like, or a Tube Driver), just because of having to run it low enough to keep from killing the 2nd amp with too much input. I've run my rack preamps (ADA MP-1, various Digitech GSP models) into the Return of a head and it sounded nice. Tried going into the front just as a boost and not-so-much.
              Originally posted by Brown Note
              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
              My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                To go even further into anal-retentive detail, make sure BOTH amps have a cabinet attached, assuming the Orange is all tube (preamp and power). I don't think a head that has a tube preamp and solid state power requires a cabinet, but amps heads with a tube power section definitely do.

Personally I wouldn't run a head or rack preamp into the preamp of a head, unless said preamp was specifically designed for that application (like an MXR preamp pedal or the like, or a Tube Driver), just because of having to run it low enough to keep from killing the 2nd amp with too much input. I've run my rack preamps (ADA MP-1, various Digitech GSP models) into the Return of a head and it sounded nice. Tried going into the front just as a boost and not-so-much.
                DrNewcenstein is correct about SS power sections not needing to have a load attached.

I also agree that trying to use a rack preamp like the Marshall 9001, ADA MP-1, etc as a boost isn't going to work. They can be run into the front end of an amp (they're amazing into a NMV Marshall), but it's best to leave the amp set clean and think of it as a power amp with tone controls. I absolutely agree that using the effects return is preferable, but some amps don't have a loop.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                X