lil dawg amps - GAS is building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: lil dawg amps - GAS is building

volume depends a lot on speaker choice. the 5e3 is pretty saggy and compressed even when clean, its the nature of the beast. if you want less of that id get the 25w option. im not sure how that changes things though. if he only uses a larger output tranny then i bet itll be fairly similar, if he increases the voltages then that will change a lot. ive used a 5v4 recto tube in my 5e3 (which increases voltages, volume and reduces sag) and its a fun option. i usually just run the 5y3 though. if i need more clean headroom, i have plenty of other amps

Comment

Ok......it's on order. Talked with Jim at lil dawg and the 12watt 5e3 tweed deluxe sounds ideal. Will provide a more detailed update when it arrives, and have to say that Jim has been great to work with. We had a lengthy phone call going over all the options and the tones and volumes I'm after, and several emails that really helped me finalize everything. Very patient and helpful. Also thanks for everyone's suggestions and advice. Getting excited for some tweedy goodness.

Comment

Nice! You going with a combo? Or head version?
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          Nice! You going with a combo? Or head version?
          Post assembly photos from Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	5792084Click image for larger version

Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	5792085Click image for larger version

Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	5792086Click image for larger version

Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	5792087

Comment

I love his build progress pics. Looking forward to the clips.

Would love to know more about the build: transformers, cap upgrades, etc.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

whats the little switch for?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                whats the little switch for?
                Great question. Everything is pretty much a base order in terms of caps and transformers etc, but the switch allows you to activate or bypass the "Paul C" mod. Jim was describing the volume on the deluxe increases up to about 3-4 on the dial and then you start adding breakup but not much more volume. The mod is intended to allow for a bit more headroom, more gradual increase in volume and onset of overdrive, up to about 6 on the dial. At higher levels there is no difference. It was only $30 to add and so thought it wouldn't hurt to have it added so I can play with it and see what uses I would have for it. The speaker is a Weber 12A125A (8 ohm, 30 watt, lt. dope).

Comment

interesting. hes right about the taper on the volume, curious how the paul c mod works. good choice for a speaker!

Comment

Working...
                  X