12AX7 tube swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12AX7 tube swap question

I have a Vox AC15 VR (hybrid amp with a preamp tube in the POWER section) that I upgraded with a V Type Speaker, and I think now it sounds wonderful, however I'm thinking that if I replace the stock chinese tube with a tungsol 12ax7, I might be able to get more gain out of it. is that possible or even worth it with such a design?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1455856448390.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	5840250

Sent from my SCL22 using Tapatalk

Re: 12AX7 tube swap question

I don't know how much you are going to increase gain in that amp with a tube swap. I know next to nothing about that amp other than it's a hybrid and the reviews I've seen. You can always try but I believe that JJ still has the most consistently "hot" 12AX7's. Good idea to contact a place like Dougs Tubes. http://www.dougstubes.com/ He will surely know that amp and be able to advise. If you otherwise like the amp and just aren't satisfied with the amount of gain on tap or the tone of the OD, there are lots of cool pedals out there.

Comment

The Tungsol Gold Pin offers quite a bit more gain. I put one in my Blackstar HT5 and it made a world of difference in the gain structure. I could run the gain much lower and the grainy fizzy gain was gone..

Comment

You're probably not going to notice enough difference to make it worth the time. Just get a OD or dist pedal. There are many on the market that will do the job for less than $25.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
          The Tungsol Gold Pin offers quite a bit more gain. I put one in my Blackstar HT5 and it made a world of difference in the gain structure. I could run the gain much lower and the grainy fizzy gain was gone..
          Respectfully, this is nonsense. I'm not saying that you don't like the sound of your Tung Sol 12AX7 better; however, it does not have significantly more gain than another tube of the same type unless there was something wrong with the old tube.

It may be worthwhile for the OP to experiment with different tubes. IME the first tube in the circuit has the biggest effect on tone/feel. By the time you're talking about a preamp tube used in a solid state poweramp, I tend to agree that a dirt box makes more sense if "more gain" is the goal.

Chip
          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

If you do replace the tube, be careful and select a tube with the same contruction. I believe it is a double triode, but don't quote me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd say experiment with different tubes AND OD pedals!

Comment

Working...
              X