How to tell if polarity is correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if polarity is correct?

I am not 100% certain I have the polarity correct on my amp/speaker connection.

I have two leads coming off the transformer in a vintage amp, and the leads connect directly to the speaker.

So when I get it connected, what would be the way to tell if the polarity is correct. I know how to test the polarity of the speaker itself with a battery, so that isn't my concern.

TIA
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: How to tell if polarity is correct?

Look at the amp's schematic. It will tell you what colored wire from the output transformer should be connected to the speaker's "-" terminal. Usually black is ground/negative terminal, and any other color goes to the "+" terminal (assuming the transformer in question has only one option for the secondary winding - one impedance option). This is a combo amp, right? You said the transformer leads connect directly to the speaker.

And why would you suspect that the wiring isn't correct?

Comment

Does the amp have an additional extension cab "out" plug? If it doesn't, I don't think it matters (although some will argue the point).
      If it does, then both speakers in phase does matter, for sure.

Comment

I would suppose you could get a nine volt battery
        touch the positive and negative leads to the terminals on the battery
        and see if the speakers flex out or draw in
        and time them together
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I assume I got it correct. I am nearly 100% certain I figured out how the tech had had it wired before I , and I'm glad I did, put some good thick speaker lead wire in place of the pathetic thin speaker wire that was there.

In any event, it's a early 60's reconditioned Ampeg Mercury,and it's for certain a poor mans tweed. It sounds so great I just can't stop playing it. I do have to tilt the amp up to get the desired sound, but I got one of those amp-tilter-uppers, so.
          Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-27-2016, 06:22 PM.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
            I assume I got it correct. I am nearly certainm I figured out hopw the tech had had it wired. In any event, it's a early 60's reconditioned Ampeg Mercury,and it's for certain a poor mans tweed. It sounds so great I just can't stop playing it. I do have to tilt the amp up to get the desired sound, but I got one of those amp-tilter-uppers, so.
            And that's all that matters. I seriously doubt if you (or anyone else) could pass an A/B blind test with the polarity reversed on the amp driving just one speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
              And that's all that matters. I seriously doubt if you (or anyone else) could pass an A/B blind test with the polarity reversed on the amp driving just one speaker.
              Tanks-a-lot..

Yeah, when I say it sounds great, I mean vintage, loads of "sag" and reponsivness, but for vintage ( Vintage Strats and Gibsons style guitars with vintage style pickups).
              I don't think Dominus or otehr modern metalheads would think this sounded so great..lol.

Funny how the evolution of AMP tone went form spongy to tight, and all points in between. Guess I'm Ol' Skool, and my 6505 still gives me 'sponge' with it's "Resonance" feature, although it's a "modern hi-gain" amp.
              One of the reason I so want try a Dual Recto!
              Last edited by MetalManiac; 02-27-2016, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X