Mark V - on the FRITZ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark V - on the FRITZ!

My Mark V head started wiggin out yesterday. I am hoping it is a power tube. I called Mesa but they aren't open on Friday.
    When it is switched off of standby, the amp starts making this staticy, buzzing, arcing sound, and the V9 tube glows a flashing brighter blue.
    At that point, I switch immediately back to standby.
    It sees to do it the most on channel 1, and doesn't matter if it is set to the 90, 45, or 10 watt setting.
    I took it apart and inspected it. Everything looks good and all the tubes are fully seated and tight.
    I had noticed for some time, every once in a while when I turned it on it would do a quick little blue flash, but it always seemed to be Ok.
    What do you think?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks, John
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
    If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Re: Mark V - on the FRITZ!

Tube's getting ready to go.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Tube.
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thanks! That is what I was thinking, and hoping.
        So were is a good place to get tubes? Any suggestions as to what brand is good to run in this amp?
        Mesa says to use only there tubes, otherwise it will void the warranty. But, is there an advantage to using something else, as far as tone is concerned?
        If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by J E C View Post
          Thanks! That is what I was thinking, and hoping.
          So were is a good place to get tubes? Any suggestions as to what brand is good to run in this amp?
          Mesa says to use only there tubes, otherwise it will void the warranty. But, is there an advantage to using something else, as far as tone is concerned?
          Tube Store or Tube Depot are good sources. I've only tried one other brand of 6L6 in mine and the Mesas were better, but others might be better. I currently use Tung-Sol EL34B'S and Tung-Sol 12AX7 Gold Pin.
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
            Tube Store or Tube Depot are good sources. I've only tried one other brand of 6L6 in mine and the Mesas were better, but others might be better. I currently use Tung-Sol EL34B'S and Tung-Sol 12AX7 Gold Pin.
            How do you like it with the EL34B's compared to running it with the 6L6's?

Comment

I've done a bit of experimenting with my Mark V combo, but I keep coming back to the Mesa tubes. I would suggest you use the Mesa tubes, and one reason is that they have the best warranty. Mesa's testing standards are tough. Sound pretty good, too! I prefer the 6L6 over the EL34 in the Mark V.

If you want to experiment....

My preferred 6L6 and EL34 tubes are the Winged C/SEDs. I've been using these in my Mark IIIs and my Mark IV with excellent results. Hard to find now, and getting expensive. Make sure you buy from an experienced vendor that knows the correct specs for Mesa amps. The Mesa combos can be tough on tubes and some brands don't handle the vibrations in those small enclosures very well.

I have also had pretty good results with the Groove Tubes 6L6-GE reissue. And I will note that I love JJ EL34s in Marshall heads, but I don't like them in Mesas. I do use their EL84s in my Maverick and my DC-3.

Bill
              Last edited by Boogie Bill; 02-28-2016, 03:11 AM.
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I've done a bit of experimenting with my Mark V combo, but I keep coming back to the Mesa tubes. I would use the Mesa tubes...and they have the best warranty. Mesa's testing standards are tough.

If you want to experiment....

My preferred 6L6 and EL34 tubes are the Winged C/SEDs. I've been using these in my Mark IIIs and my Mark IV with excellent results. Hard to find now, and getting expensive. Make sure you buy from an experienced vendor that knows the correct specs for Mesa amps. The Mesa combos can be tough on tubes and some brands don't handle the vibrations in those small enclosures very well.

I have also had pretty good results with the Groove Tubes 6L6-GE reissue. And I will note that I love JJ EL34s in Marshall heads, but I don't like them in Mesas. I do use their EL84s in my Maverick and my DC-3.

Bill

Comment

In my Mesa, I tried JJs and some 1940-s era Russian tubes. I even used a set of modern Electro Harmonix preamp tubes. I hated the JJs and the Russians were ok, didn't like the EHs at all. The Mesa tubes were miles better than those. So, I'd say to stick with them.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks guys. I was coming to the same conclusion. So far all I have heard is to stay with the Mesa tubes, so that,s what I'll do.
                    I've got the Mk V head with a 2x12 Recto cab, so hopefully it will be a little easier on tubes than a combo.
                    Once again, Thank you!

John

Comment

Originally posted by J E C View Post
                      How do you like it with the EL34B's compared to running it with the 6L6's?
                      Sorry I took so long to get back. I like the EL34B'S better on channels 2&3 especially channel 2 on edge and crunch modes. I usually set the amp on 45w so I can get the power tubes to just start breaking up, mainly I like the extra upper mids and the way El34s break up better. I do find that channel 1 sounds best with the 6l6s, but since I spend most of my time on 2 I'm willing to make that sacrifice
                      sigpic
                      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Some amps just seem to be engineered around Chinese tubes and Mesa seems to be one of those. The best tones I've gotten are from the Mesa tubes which are screened versions.
                        Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                        Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Better is often the enemy of good
                        Originally posted by ginormous
                        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I was able to get some Mesa tubes here in town at a price better than I was seeing on line, plus no shipping cost.
                          So now for the next question......
                          How often should the rectifier, preamp, and reverb tubes be replaced ?

Comment

Preamp tubes will typically last several years, and there's no real reason to replace them, unless they go bad--microphonics, shorts, noise, etc. That includes the reverb driver.

Ditto for the rectifier tube. If it works, it's good. Nice feature of the Mesas'...if the rectifier does go bad, you can switch to the solid-state diodes.

Power tubes will last approximately six months, but it depends on how hard you're running your amp. Running it on ten with an attenuator will shorten tube life. Good idea to replace the phase inverter tube when you drop in a new power set.

Refer to your amp's Owner's Manual. Lots of good tube info in there.

Bill

Comment

Last edited by Chickenwings; 03-04-2016, 01:45 AM.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X