Clear All

• NAD Li'l Dawg D-Lux

It arrived this week:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	5840329

Following on from an earlier thread where i was asking folks about the amp, and ended up ordering one from Jim at Lil' Dawg amps, I wanted to post a little review and initial impressions.

Firstly I wanted to say that working with Jim at Lil' Dawg amps was one of the best musical purchasing experiences I've had. He is super knowledgable and patient and answered all my questions and gave some great advice to make sure I ended up with an amp that suited my needs.

I have a couple of higher watt amps that have clean headroom and was looking for something smaller that could crank up to get that power tube overdrive at stage volumes in rehearsals and small bars. I mainly play blues and classic rock and have so far relied on master volumes, channel switching and pedals to get my overdrive tones. With the lil dawg I can crank the volume and then back things off to get my clean tones.

The amp is a 5e3 clone and has 12 watts running through a 5Y3GT, 6V6GT, 6V6GT, 12AX7, and a 12AY7. It uses a Weber 12A125A speaker (8 ohm, 30 watt, light dope). It has a bright channel and a normal channel with high and low imputs on both, two channel volumes and a master tone. Jim also added a little switch that engages or bypasses a "Paul C" mod that is intended to give a bit more range on the volume before it starts to overdrive. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with this yet, the standard setting is so good I've so far kinda forgotten to engage it. The build quality is fantastic, everything is hand wired point to point, using quality components.

I live in a pretty residential area and am not able to really crank the amp at home, so was limited to bedroom clean levels the first couple of days. Today i was able to take it to the local rehearsal space to really crank it up. (a drummer friend was going to join but family commitments intervened).

Firstly i was surprised at how much more headroom the amp has that i was expecting. Reading reviews of 5e3s folks were talking about ACDC levels of crunch pretty early on the volume dial. On this amp it gets fuller and hairy after about 4-5 on the volume control but didn't get into what i would define as full overdrive lead tones until about 9-11, with more sag and compression between 11-12. It was still in bluesy levels of gain and not approaching hard rock tones. At this volume it was pretty darn loud, and i was kicking myself that the drummer couldn't show, since i am pretty sure it would be competing volume wise. I think spent most of my time on the normal channel with the strat and the bright channel on the les paul. Also the amp is pretty quiet even when you crank it. With my les paul it was very quiet with very little white noise or humming. With the strat I got the normal single coil noise (actually I just ordered a set of mojotone quiet coils but that will be a separate thread).

It is very touch sensitive and amplifies all the nuances of your playing. I'm going to need to improve my technique, as any sloppy playing comes straight through. It responds really well to playing dynamics and really works with you when you back off or dig in.

I had the amp raised up on my amp stand and it projected really well. I used my Les Paul traditional with 57/57+ pickups and my 57 reissue strat with 57/62 pickups. They both sounded great and i could get a nice range of clean through mildly overdriven sounds through just the guitar volume and tone controls. I'm a bluesy player and this amp suits my style with a bit of grit that cleans up well. It had me wishing i could be better at playing Peter Green style blues.

I tried to take a couple of clips using my iPhone. They are very rough, and the iPhone cuts out a lot of the high end and 3D quality of the amp, so they are not the best representation of the amps capabilities, more like a quick musical sketch. On the clip with the strat you'll hear some low rumbling coming from a metal band that was going balls to the wall next door. I recorded the les paul clip while they were taking a break but then they came back and played intensely for the next hour straight (they were good but damn their bass was booming through the building). Also excuse the playing as i was focusing more on trying the amp out than what I was playing. Both clips on the normal channel, and i should have probably done some clips on the bright channel with it cranked up a bit more, but was getting my blues tones at less than full throttle.

It's early days getting to know the amp, but so far i've been really impressed and can't wait to try it out in a group situation.

Re: NAD Li'l Dawg D-Lux

Awesome! Congrats!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Nice! Classic amp we all should own one

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

the 12ay7 aws v1 keeps the gain down a little, a 12ax7 will get you the ac/dc levels of crunch and you can always jump the channels for significantly more dirt. when playing into one channel, did you mess around with the other volume? so plugged into bright and adjusting the normal volume for example... the controls are very interactive even when only using one channel

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          the 12ay7 aws v1 keeps the gain down a little, a 12ax7 will get you the ac/dc levels of crunch and you can always jump the channels for significantly more dirt. when playing into one channel, did you mess around with the other volume? so plugged into bright and adjusting the normal volume for example... the controls are very interactive even when only using one channel
          Thanks for the advice Jeremy. I thought I would start with the 12ay7 as I am hoping to use this amp for more blues based things, but will check out the 12ax7 at some point. I tried adjusting both volumes, and still need to spend some time getting to know the amp here, as there seems to be a lot of interaction between the controls. For jumping the channels which one do you plug your guitar into, and which ones do you jumper? I still need to try this. It's awesome how an amp with only 3 controls has so many tonal options.

Comment

plug into one of the 1 inputs, then run a jumper from 2 to the other 1 input

Comment

Played around some more tonight and coaxed out several nice overdriven tones. Now i'm more used to the amp controls and channels, and perhaps the speaker is starting to break in, i'm getting onset of overdrive around 3 on the dial and then things get fatter and more overdriven from there. I tried jumping the channels but found my favorite tones tonight were on the normal channel with all dials at about 4-7. I was using my a les paul with whole lotta humbuckers. These overdrive tones are the ones i was looking for and they clean up really well. I fussed around with the controls and made a clip showing the overdrive and guitar volume cleanup on the normal channel.

This one i engage the Paul C mod halfway through, you can hear that it adds clean headroom leading me to increase the amp volume to get the crunch back, and it tightens up the low end. At the end of the clip you see me maxing the unused channel volume to clean up the tone. The guys next door were getting down with some zeppelin and it was sounding great.

Liking the amp more every time i play it! No more clips for a while, i need to learn some new licks.....

Comment

Working...
              X