Using a pedal as a preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a pedal as a preamp

I have been kinda GAS-ING for some nice Fender/Mesa cleans lately. Not enough to get a new amp per say, but I think I found a cheap way to get my current amp to get 95% there.

Current amp: Jet City JCA2212C

What if I ran a Joyo California sound (Tech 21 California clone) into the effects return of my Jet city? Would I get a good Mesa/Fender-like clean sound?

Also, is it normal when I plug into the return directly, the niether volume knobs effect the volume at all? It's always like it's at around 5.
    Last edited by TRex; 03-01-2016, 02:17 PM.

Re: Using a pedal as a preamp

I guess worst case I'm out $30 or can use it for direct recording or PA use.

Any thoughts though? Experiences?

Comment

The thing with connecting into power amp section is you are skiping the character and EQ of the amps' preamp so you gotta be sure the pedal has enough EQ tweak capabilities, specially if the vendor describes it as something to be in the front of the amp. I would think similar statement can be made about a drive pedal into a PA for live usage.

My short experience so far with preamps in pedal format is with an AMT SS-20 into an ISP Stealth power amp then to into Fender Hot Rod Deluxe iii extension cab. Clean enough to me. If you need only the cleans (the SS-20 has crunch and lead) then you can check the AMT F1, the demos sound amazing good clean and some users have told me it is very close to a fender clean. The cool thing about the F1 is you can make it work with your amp's preamp and switch between fender clean and your amps overdrive/distortion channels, thing of it as adding a good clean channel to a nice dirty-only amp, here a video demonstrating.

Edit: And the F1 pedal has also an FX loop so you can keep using 1 single existing pedalboard with either the F1 or your amp's channels.
      Last edited by IMENATOR; 03-01-2016, 08:06 PM.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

Another one, really nice cleans.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

I have the British and American Joyo pedals
          and I think you should try it
          I find the American pedal does a nice imitation of a clean Fender
          plenty of knobs and like you said only $30

I run mine into a powered PA speaker

may not be good for a purist
          but if you were at a gig in a tight spot
          you could get thru with it
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            I have the British and American Joyo pedals
            and I think you should try it
            I find the American pedal does a nice imitation of a clean Fender
            plenty of knobs and like you said only $30

I run mine into a powered PA speaker

may not be good for a purist
            but if you were at a gig in a tight spot
            you could get thru with it
            Thanks! I know the American can do cleans well for sure, but the California has gain and the ability to get in the deal rectifier style of play, making it a bit more versatile.

The American was the one that brought these to my attention.

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
            The thing with connecting into power amp section is you are skiping the character and EQ of the amps' preamp so you gotta be sure the pedal has enough EQ tweak capabilities, specially if the vendor describes it as something to be in the front of the amp. I would think similar statement can be made about a drive pedal into a PA for live usage.

My short experience so far with preamps in pedal format is with an AMT SS-20 into an ISP Stealth power amp then to into Fender Hot Rod Deluxe iii extension cab. Clean enough to me. If you need only the cleans (the SS-20 has crunch and lead) then you can check the AMT F1, the demos sound amazing good clean and some users have told me it is very close to a fender clean. The cool thing about the F1 is you can make it work with your amp's preamp and switch between fender clean and your amps overdrive/distortion channels, thing of it as adding a good clean channel to a nice dirty-only amp, here a video demonstrating.

Edit: And the F1 pedal has also an FX loop so you can keep using 1 single existing pedalboard with either the F1 or your amp's channels.
            The pedal is more of an amp simulator. It's main use according to most is for direct out or use with a PA. The Tone controls are pretty expansive and has a variety of settings, much like an amp.
            Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
            Another one, really nice cleans.
            Man, those are some pretty nice cleans. Just a bit pricey for me. ($160)
            Last edited by TRex; 03-01-2016, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Both the California (Mesa emulator) and American Sound (Fender emulator) can be used either in front of the amp, direct into a PA, or using just the power section of the amp. They have tremendous flexibility w/ EQ, Drive, Volume, and Character. The amp should be set neutral for best results. They can run the gamut from clean to very dirty in a clean amp. I can't speak to the clean character of the Jet City's power section since those amps are noted for lots of distortion, but it may be coming from the preamp.

Comment

The gain is from the preamp ime.

Plugged in the return of the effects loop gives a very clean sound. Even with a Tube screamer set to a "clean boost" it won't break up a whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by TRex View Post
                  The gain is from the preamp ime.

Plugged in the return of the effects loop gives a very clean sound. Even with a Tube screamer set to a "clean boost" it won't break up a whole lot.
                  Then you should like, very much, either one depending on your preference toward Mesa or Fender (Blackface clean to gnarly Tweed). I also used to own a British Sound (Marshall), but gave it to a friend who loves the Marshall sound (which it does well). But I have very a strong preference for Fender. I may get the AC Tone (Vox) to try next.
                  These pedals are a great value!

Comment

Yes, that will work, and you could A/B between the Jet City preamp and the pedal preamp for your clean tone. But, as you noticed, the fx loop is after the Master Volumes, so you are feeding the signal straight to the power amp so the volume on the pedal will be the MV for the clean tone.

It's also easy to modify the crunch channels on those amps to be clean, I did it to a one of the 50W heads because I needed a clean tone.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      Yes, that will work, and you could A/B between the Jet City preamp and the pedal preamp for your clean tone. But, as you noticed, the fx loop is after the Master Volumes, so you are feeding the signal straight to the power amp so the volume on the pedal will be the MV for the clean tone.

It's also easy to modify the crunch channels on those amps to be clean, I did it to a one of the 50W heads because I needed a clean tone.
                      Just out of curiosity, what did you do to clean it up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

IIRC, it was the SLO Clean/Crunch mod on this page, I used a 68k resistor instead of a 39K, worked great.

I say the main difference is a the pots are 1m instead of 500k making the jca sounding a bit darker and a 100k plate resistor for one of the loops stages. I'm going to work on the warren haynes mod, the depth mod, the scoop mod and the clean/ crunch mod an a couple of others. I'm also going to fi...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          IIRC, it was the SLO Clean/Crunch mod on this page, I used a 68k resistor instead of a 39K, worked great.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...la-28/1376418-
                          Cool, thanks.

Thanks guys for your help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X