Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low efficiency speaker for Hot Rod Deluxe

Hello,

I just got a Hot Rod Deluxe, and while I love the amp, it is just too darn loud, especially when trying to get it into breakup or overdrive at reasonable volumes. Lots of people on the Internet have suggested upgrading the speaker in it from the stock Fender/Eminence special design to not only give it a better tonal response and make the drive channel a bit more usable (which I do desire) but also to allow it to naturally distort at lower volumes by using a lower efficiency speaker (which is what I'm really after).

Do you have any suggestions for speakers that would let me do this and would sound good in a Hot Rod Deluxe fed by my side Les Paul? I mostly play blues and rock and my favorite artists are SRV, Clapton, Robben Ford, Satriani, and Santana.

I've seen several recommendations of low efficiency 12 inch speakers like the Jenson C12N, Eminence Texas Heat, or maybe even Eminence's Flux Density Modulating speakers with a built in 9 dB attenuator like the Maverick or Reign maker, but I have no idea which would be best for a HRDx and which would be best for lower volume tube overdrive. I don't really have a preference for British or American sounds, I just want to end up with something sounds good.

Thanks!

Re: Low efficiency speaker for Hot Rod Deluxe

According to the internet the Fender special design is essentially the the Legend 12 series and the efficiency is 100 dbs at 1 watt /one meter. This is the same as the G12H and the Vintage 30. So yes, very loud.

The Jensen is 98dbs:

But I have read bad tone reports on the re-issue Jensens, although I can't say that first hand. I do know first hand about the older Kendrick Black Frame 12. It is a great sounding speaker and is noticably less efficient. I would say the older one is less efficient than the newer one listed here as 98dbs. I'd say more 95 -96 db. It is 80 watts power handling

The Celestion G12M Heritage is only 96 db but is only a 25 watt speaker and conservatively rated at only 20 watts. You need at least 65 watts power handling for your amp right?

The Celestion G12T75 is 75 watts and 97 db.

I believe the Warehouse ET65 is also 97 db.

Comment

I thought these type speakers were very expensive but this one is listed for $134

I would think you would want the American voiced one for a Fender if you go that route.
      Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 03-11-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I've heard great things about the Eminence Cannabis Rex in a Hot Rod Deluxe–I have one waiting to be installed right now. I have one from the first year they made them (USA) and it came with an Eminence Legend which sounds very good.

A. Plug into the second/B input (lower volume than input 1/A)

B. Try this mod

C. Invest in a power attenuator

I'd recommend A&B first as a good attenuator is pricey. I've switched to a 12AT7 in the first slot (furthest to the right when you are looking facing the back of the amp) and it not only lowered the volume but also increased the clean headroom.

Comment

^^
          Except the C-Rex is rated at 103 dB's.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

best speaker for a hot rod or any too loud fender amp like a twin reverb etc is a texas heat.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              ^^
              Except the C-Rex is rated at 103 dB's.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
              Don't confuse me with the facts! lol

Comment

Another confusing fact: The Texas Heat is only 0.6 db quieter than the Fender Special Design:

The Eminence Texas Heat is the All-American guitar speaker that’s packin’ heat, Texas style. It delivers a nice warm, fat tone with top end bite and clarity to cut through a mix while maintaining a rich, bluesy tone. Very touch-sensitive with a hint of British voicing.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                  I've heard great things about the Eminence Cannabis Rex in a Hot Rod Deluxe–I have one waiting to be installed right now. I have one from the first year they made them (USA) and it came with an Eminence Legend which sounds very good.

A. Plug into the second/B input (lower volume than input 1/A)

B. Try this mod

C. Invest in a power attenuator

I'd recommend A&B first as a good attenuator is pricey. I've switched to a 12AT7 in the first slot (furthest to the right when you are looking facing the back of the amp) and it not only lowered the volume but also increased the clean headroom.
                  If I plug into the lower input and use lower gain preamp tubes, won't that just mean I will end up turning the amp volume pot up higher, but at the same volume as I had before there would still be just as much (i.e. no) breakup?

Comment

That's my feeling.

I hate to say it, but maybe the Blues Jr. is the appropriate Amp for this situation?
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you install a 97db speaker in the HotRod it is like reducing it to 20 watts playing through the stock speaker. looked at this way it is not much different than the 15 watt amp through the Special Design speaker.

Comment

i dont know if that stock speaker is 100db. ive done a speaker swap to a v30 and the v30 was noticeably louder. 40w is loud. hell i play a 20w amp and im looking at getting the maverick to knock down the volume from time to time

Comment

^^ In that case swapping the speaker out might not be worth the effort or the cost. Maybe the Maverick or a for sure known 95db speaker might be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukobi View Post
                            If I plug into the lower input and use lower gain preamp tubes, won't that just mean I will end up turning the amp volume pot up higher, but at the same volume as I had before there would still be just as much (i.e. no) breakup?
                            Get an attenuator and you can get as much breakup as you want at whatever volume that you want. It may cost more than a single speaker, but you will solve the problem in one single step.

Comment

Is the Celestion Rocket 50 any good? Its rated at 50W 95 dB and it sells for about $50 USD, but maybe it's too good to be true.

Comment

Working...
                              X