Getting antsy waiting for my new amp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting antsy waiting for my new amp!

It's been about 3-4 weeks since I put my deposit down on my new amp, and only about 2 since I paid in full. I was quoted 4-6 weeks from deposit, so I'm starting to get excited! But that excitement is turning into anxiety! Anxiety made all the worse because I have a gig on Thursday and was really hoping to get a chance to use it for the gig. I'm thinking about asking the guys if I can borrow their demo model for the show if they don't have it done by then.

I'm determined not to be pushy about the amp, I know how busy both of the guys who build the 41st Amps are. I hate it when my clients are pushy and want their computers back a few hours after they checked them in, so I'm don't want to be that guy. So I'm venting here.

Once I take delivery of that amp, I have some overdrive shopping to do. I'm going to end up with at least one, possibly two, of the following pedals to pair with it: Wampler Paisley, J Rockett Archer, J Rockett Lenny. I think the Archer is a given, and if the Paisley works as well as a lead tone with The Bayonet as I think it will, I may need one of those too. And the Lenny just looks awesome.
    Go Packers!

Re: Getting antsy waiting for my new amp!

how'd you end up at that particular amp?

Comment

It's a long story. I traded away my Mesa Lonestar years ago because I was dumb and thought it didn't fit with the band I was in and sound I was going for at the time. Over the last 4 years (since I made that trade), I've gigged a lot of different amps, HRDiii, Blues Jr., Delta Blues, 5f1 62 Tweed Champ, 68 SF Bassman, Mesa DC-5 and a few others. While I liked certain things about all of them, none were exactly what I wanted (plus, the vintage Fenders belong to my ex).

The guys who make these amps worked at one of the shops in town here for a few years. I was always in there trying different amps, but never buying anything. Before they both struck out on their own with this amp company, one of them asked what I wanted in an amp. I told them 20ish watts, 1x12, 2x6v6, nice cleans and a nice grit when pushed. I've always liked something in the tweed/brownface range. He invited me to demo one of their amps at a gig. I said sure, and made the arrangements.

I went over to his place and tried it the day of the gig and was just floored. It was everything I wanted. Nice cleans, a really good edge of breakup tone at about 11 o'clock on the volume, really crunchy when pushed over noon. It cleans up wonderfully when you roll back the volume. It took almost every pedal I ran through it. The reverb with the added Dwell knob is amazingly versatile and very lush. I was sold.

It's taken me about two years to finally get up the money. I was derailed first by a nasty breakup, then ended up getting a nice deal a Super Sonic Twin with a road case. I play pedal steel too, so I need a big clean amp for that and took the opportunity when it knocked. I was able to use my tax return to finally place an order. Once its finished, I'll have a nice trio of amps. The Super Sonic Twin for a big clean amp, the Bayonet for my main 6 string amp, and a Roland Cube 60 for practice and a surprisingly good acoustic amp.
      Go Packers!

Comment

Those demos on their website sound very nice!

Comment

They make great stuff. I'm thinking about collaborating with them to have them build me a custom pedal steel amp (50ish watts, 1x15, super super clean with a full B/M/T/P tone stack and dwell and tone knobs for the reverb, and a beefed up midrange and lowend). Their reverb head is amazing, too. I'd stack it up with both the Blackface '64 Fender Reverb head and Silverface '78 Fender Reverb head my ex has. One of the best reverb units I've ever played. I'll probably pick one of those up to use with my Twin for pedal steel.
          Go Packers!

Comment

You're almost there Matt! Looking forward to your review when you get it and get a chance to gig it.

I'm getting antsy myself. Waiting on my third Tom Anderson guitar to arrive. It should be here tomorrow. Traded-off my LP Standard to a TGP forum member for it. It's a Classic (I already have a Classic and a Drop Top).
            "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Those amps are sweet. I would love to hear it with a bit of break up. You are a lucky man Matt.

Comment

I'll be putting some clips up pretty much as soon as I get it. My brother/roommate has a two input interface, so the clips will be pretty easy. I'm going to have to find some free backing tracks to play to.

I'm also going to be making my first attempt at recording a few video demos with the amp. I've got a decent camera, and between my brother and I, I think we can get the audio recorded using a 57 and one of his condensers through the interface. I'll just have to figure out if the Camera mic is good enough to pick up any talking I do. If not, I may just do it Mike Hermans style and use some scrolling text.

I can't wait! New gear is really exciting, and I've been wanting one of these things for 2+ years, so my excitement level is through the roof!
                Go Packers!

Comment

The wait time for custom builds is excruciating.

Years ago, I had dealt with Blues Pearl, who made killer Fender and Marshall type amps. I had a cost deal endorsement. They took a few months to send me a Dumble clone, which was killing my patience.

When it finally arrived, it was malfunctioning and blowing tubes and fuses. I was bummed and sent it back, only to learn the owner was losing his business and health. It took me 9 months to get his wife to send it back to me still broken.
                  Then I had to pay a local tech to fix it for an addional few weeks.
                  Imagine how mentally taxing that was!
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yikes. That sounds like an awful situation.
                    Go Packers!

Comment

I'm sure your situation will run smooth, even if it runs past the due date. At least you have other amps if it doesnt.

One nice thing about boutique amps is that they're often like vintage amps, but they're handwired with brand new mil-spec components that are brand new. That's as good as it gets, quality-wise. It's worth the wait, compared to the cost cutting crap mass produced overseas today. In the future, these are the only things that will be worth money.
                      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-15-2016, 01:45 AM.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        I'm sure your situation will run smooth, even if it runs past the due date. At least you have other amps if it doesnt.

One nice thing about boutique amps is that they're often like vintage amps, but they're handwired with brand new mil-spec components that are brand new. That's as good as it gets, quality-wise. It's worth the wait, compared to the cost cutting crap mass produced overseas today. In the future, these are the only things that will be worth money.
                        That's exactly how I feel about this amp. Its a handwired amp using serious compenents and its the same price as a 65 DRRI is new. I almost feel like I'd be dumb not to buy one of these thing!

I just got a message from them, they said it's about 1-2 weeks out. I was hoping to use it on Thursday, but I'm not going to rush them or badger them about it. They are nice guys and good friends of mine, and I know they are both really busy. They both have full time jobs doing other things to support the amp business while its still in its infancy.

Looks like I'll be using the Twin for my Tele and my Cube 60 for my Pedal Steel at the gig on Thursday.
                        Go Packers!

Comment

Cool amps and will be well worth the wait! Could be a really happy Easter.

Comment

Working...
                          X