banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best amp cab/speaker combo for extended range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best amp cab/speaker combo for extended range?

so i had a 9 string agile for a bit but my cab's couldn't handle the lows. plus it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. great guitar just didn't seem to "fit". i found an agile 8 string multi scale I'm gonna try and also a etherial ten string i plan on buying. I'm running a Bugera 333XL infinium 120 watt head. i have a marshall 412a and an acoustic b115. personally i don't like the marshall cab at all. the b115 is ok but not quite what I'm looking for. does anyone know of a cab or a particular speaker that will handle the lows of a ten string, without having to run a bass rig as well as my guitar rig? I've also been hearing that a tube head isn't gonna "handle" the lows of the ten. is this true? anyone had any experience with this type of setup? I've been told an axe effects or a kemper, but from what I've been seeing there both pretty expensive. i mean if thats the only option then down the road i suppose id have to invest in one or the other. I'm looking to play rings of saturn type music if that helps at all. technical death metal. i can't find any info on there rigs to see what there using to handle the lows. plus there only playing 8's.

Re: Best amp cab/speaker combo for extended range?

I just got a Celestion G15V-100 Fullback 15 Inch speaker. It has the frequency range to handle your 8 string. I could wax on about it or you could just check out the review I wrote up.

Gear Review: Celestion G15V-100 Fullback 15 Inch Guitar Speaker

Comment

I don't do 8- or 9-strings, but i tune some of my guitars to drop A# and also play bass, and i use an Electric 6x12 for both with no complaints. I do prefer to run my 2x15 when I'm playing bass to fill in more lows but the 6x12 holds up okay on its own.

green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

i was thinking about the 15" guitar speaker. does it handle highs well? or would it be better to run a 4x15 and a 4x12?

Comment

ive never seen a 6x12 guitar cab before. interesting concept. and i suppose with bigger cab it would handle lows a bit better than a 4x12.

Comment

It holds the lowend down for me. Mine has Eminence Manowars so its something like 700w and can handle bass like a dream. It's designed to run two heads simultaneously.

Comment

Celestion G12K-100, probably in a larger dimensioned cab like an Orange PPC or Mesa Recto Standard
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                Celestion G12K-100, probably in a larger dimensioned cab like an Orange PPC or Mesa Recto Standard
                Funny you should say that... my green 4x12 has G12T100s which is what the G12Ks are based on and... yeah. They're great for lowend.

And that Emperor 2x12 with Eminence Swamp Thangs is almost like a subwoofer. There are lots of good speakers for fat lows... but you want a good cab to hold them.

Comment

See if you can find a Rivera speaker cab called the Los Lobottom (sp.?). Might be what you are looking for.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

ill check into them. i was thinking the randall rs125xl which has 2 12 vintage 30's and an eminence 15. im not to familiar with eminence i know celestion is nothing but quality in my experience but ive never personally played through an eminence.

Comment

honestly ive been contemplating just building my own cab. i have some experience with wood working. its just figuring up the specs and how my the speakers need to poroperly breath. ive built sub boxed for cars but im assuming thats a different ballpark all together. same concept. different size and space requirement. i saw marshall made a 4x15 bass cab for lemmy but there hard to find and ridiculously expensive when you do find one. plus its a bass cab. i wanna find a guitar cab that can handle a low Bb, without sounding like muddy ****. any info on the amy situation? so you need a bass head to produce a frequency that low or can a guitar head handle it?

Comment

I use amps that can handle guitar and bass guitar to get those low low notes, but they're not super common. If you don't want to track down a Matamp or a Sunn model T you're probably best off running a bass amp and a guitar amp simultaneously.

Comment

Another option is adding an active crossover and subwoofer to your guitar rig. If you want to use it with a conventional guitar head, put the crossover in the effects loop and send the highs back into the guitar amp with the lows going to the sub. Put the crossover BEFORE any effects in the loop so that your low end stays clear.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Try ampeg svt15e cab. Have been running one with my old fender prosonic full tube head for maybe 10 years with 7, 8 string and downtuned 6 strings. It is tight and punchy. Would love to try svt810e fridge

Išsiųsta naudojantis LG-H815 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly_Diesel View Post
                              i was thinking about the 15" guitar speaker. does it handle highs well? or would it be better to run a 4x15 and a 4x12?
                              I don't know about better but the 15 has a frequency range well beyond the range of a guitar. It handles highs just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X