Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6505 20W Mini Heads...

Originally posted by mantis View Post
    ...It has tube break up very early and really doesn't have a "Clean Channel". It's more like a light crunch channel and a Metal channel amp...
    Being myself an owner of a 20 Classic MH, I must disagree here: it depends very much on the tubes/valves used here. It is also not really a dark sounding amp, rather warm- but not dark. The JJ tubes are by far worse sounding than any nice old stock tubes I tried in this little fellow. JJ are also really muddy, maybe therefore your impression of dark sounding?
    Mine was also out-of-store way too hot biased by Peavey so that could also could have reduced the headroom...

For metal players 6505 is shurely a better choice. With Classic 20 MH one should use one or another pedal to let it "sing" properly, as it isn't a metal amp, despite quite a lot od distortion of the lead channel.
    Last edited by 6p5p; 03-27-2016, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Good on ya bro.. Friendships like that are hard to come by these days...
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

So I got the head yesterday and I've got to say I'm definitely impressed!!! It's quite a versatile amplifier & very user friendly!! It's loaded with features and better yet features that are actually things that are there for a reason, not just as a gimmick? I probably don't have to get into all that too much as I'm sure most of you are familiar with them? The speaker defeat is especially fun, it's not often you can play an all tube amp @ 3:00 am in the morning through headphones and not pi$$ anyone else in my house off!!!

The 6505 mh is very easy to use & it doesn't really seem to matter how the EQ is set, just adjust the presence & resonance & it sounds great! Personally I like the rhythm CH more than the lead but in all fairness it does have more gain with the crunch button engaged on clean than my Marshall does on lead!!! Probably my favorite thing about it is how the notes ring out & sustain. It's almost like pinch harmonics without actually pinching the string? You can definitely find that EVH influence in it very quickly!!! All & all I'm very happy with it & I think it's going to be around for quite some time!!!
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

VERY Cool to hear!!! Id LOVE to get a "real" amp with headphone capability as that is mostly how I play.. And yeah the thing has some other good features that all seem usable. My only concern was how close it actually sounds to the reg one.. as discussed in some other threads, I normally dont like EL84 amps as well and normally dont find that when a company tries to make an amp that sounds similar to an amp that normally has big bottles and they use EL 84s, they often differ quite a bit. Never understood why they dont just use one of whatever big tube is in the big one..??

Also REAL interested to hear some real reviews of the Pirahna!!

How you like the TSA15? was real curious about those when they came out
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            Never understood why they dont just use one of whatever big tube is in the big one..??
            To use one output tube would mean running it in pure class A, so it would sound the same as the bigger version running in A/B. I'd love to see more 6V6 lunchbox heads!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              VERY Cool to hear!!! Id LOVE to get a "real" amp with headphone capability as that is mostly how I play.. And yeah the thing has some other good features that all seem usable. My only concern was how close it actually sounds to the reg one.. as discussed in some other threads, I normally dont like EL84 amps as well and normally dont find that when a company tries to make an amp that sounds similar to an amp that normally has big bottles and they use EL 84s, they often differ quite a bit. Never understood why they dont just use one of whatever big tube is in the big one..??

Also REAL interested to hear some real reviews of the Pirahna!!

How you like the TSA15? was real curious about those when they came out
              The TSA15 is amazing!!! It's a Class A single CH 6V6 amp with the TS9 circuit built in. I'm not a huge fan of the TS circuit but it makes an awesome pedal platform and because it's a 6V6 amp you still get them big booming bass notes that sometimes get lost in EL84 lunchbox heads. I assume this is what you are referring to?

With the 6505 mh I didn't find that it was lacking anything that it big brother puts out other than volume really? Of course they are not completely alike and the bigger bottle sound isn't 100% there but they are a lot closer than many other "shrunken head's" that I've used? It's got plenty of low end , it's got plenty of gain, it's got plenty of just about everything actually!!!
              I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                To use one output tube would mean running it in pure class A, so it would sound the same as the bigger version running in A/B. I'd love to see more 6V6 lunchbox heads!
                You should really check out the TSA15 & TSA30 heads/combos! They're basically Class A Blackfaces but at a fraction of the price. I'm not really sure why mine is black, I've never seen another one like it? In any case it's one of the best & most versatile amps I've got & I think it's the least expensive of them all too!!! As for the color, personally I like the black and green better than the ivory and green anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post

The TSA15 is amazing!!! It's a Class A single CH 6V6 amp with the TS9 circuit built in. I'm not a huge fan of the TS circuit but it makes an awesome pedal platform and because it's a 6V6 amp you still get them big booming bass notes that sometimes get lost in EL84 lunchbox heads. I assume this is what you are referring to?

With the 6505 mh I didn't find that it was lacking anything that it big brother puts out other than volume really? Of course they are not completely alike and the bigger bottle sound isn't 100% there but they are a lot closer than many other "shrunken head's" that I've used? It's got plenty of low end , it's got plenty of gain, it's got plenty of just about everything actually!!!
                  The TSA15 has two 6V6 and it is a class AB, AMAIK. Or do they manufacture a different amp with the same name?

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    thanks for the info!!! Im not that savvy with that stuff.. Interesting!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                    X