No announcement yet.

How the @#$& do I choose new speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the @#$& do I choose new speakers?

The 1978 Celestion speakers in my 2x12 cabinet have finally given out. They just flub terribly whenever I chunk a chord at any volume above 2.
    I see there are now roughly 15,000 different 12" guitar speakers on the market. There is no way I can try any of them out (no local shops have a variety in cabinets or amps).
    How do I go about buying new speakers without going broke?

Re: How the @#$& do I choose new speakers?

What kind of sound do you want and how much money have you got to spend?

Comment

Celestion Vintage 30. Start there and I think you will find what you want.

Comment

You want to make sure to match the ohm rating of the original and the wattage. Check the Trading Post here, I know there are a few pairs up for sale for much less than list price.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

First off...what kind of amp(s)....how much juice does it put out? What kind of guitars are you using? What kind of music do you play? Do you play out?

Comment

Just google what speaker your "hero" uses or what was used on whatever recording you like. Thank god the pros don't typically use some ultra-expensive newfangled speaker like is often the case with other gear.

Comment

If you liked the speakers in your 2x12 cabinet, take off the back and see which ones they are.By another set of them or something that compares to them.

Comment

Thats my point: I can get the exact same speakers again but there are so many options now that it seems like there might be something I'd like better, OR something cheaper I would like just as much?

Comment

Are you sure it is the speakers?
                  How old are your tubes?
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Celestion, Eminence and WGS all have clips online of their speakers. I'd start with the model you have for reference, then listen to the other models to decide which direction you want to go.

All that being said, if you specify the amp, guitar and style you are looking for, people here have enough experience to point you in the right direction.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

1978 Randall RG150 head. Solid state but everyone who hears it assumes it's all tube. I play with the gain pegged at 10, master volume around 3, bass at 10, mid around 7, treble around 6, presence around 3-4. I play Gibsons with Dimarzio Super Distortion humbuckers or similar using 10-52 strings, standard tuning. I play mostly rythm, mostly punk & hard rock. I hit the string hard with a heavy pick, play a lot of open E, G, A, & D chords and do a lot of palm muting. Sometimes I throw in some mid boost with an eq pedal. When I play lead I prefer long sustaining notes over speed.
                      My sound is chunky, thick, loud, but warm and not at all shrill. Very percussive and lows that make things shake. It is not a real high-gain amp. It's more crunchy. I bought it because it has a ton of headroom.
                      It is definitely the speakers. When I plug my rig into someone else's cabinet it sounds fine.
                      I bought the Randall as a half-stack but the cabinet weighed a ton. I bought a Peavy 2x12 and swapped in two of the Celestion speakers from the Randall 4x12. Those two speakers in that cabinet gave a warmer sound than the 4x12 and that has been my sound ever since.
                      I am no longer in any active bands but it looks like I may be gigging a few times a year so I want to get this solved.
                      I know I can probably get the exact same speakers but I thought possibly the technology has advanced a bit since 1978?

Comment

Dude, these https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...-O-Wars-16-ohm

Comment

As far as the tech moving on, it has and it hasn't - the new stuff now sounds like the old stuff reliably! If you like the tone of your Celestions, ID their spec - particularly magnet type (if they're early 70s, good chance they're ferrite/ceramic, though they may be alnico). Once you have this, you'll find all the manufacturers have their own versions - and you'll also find that everyone has an opinion about which are best. I'm partial to Eminence alnico speakers, for example, mainly because they're slightly more sensitive (louder per watt - I play low-watt EL84 amps) than Celestions, but I also loved the Celestion Blues in my AC30. If you go with Celestion for straight replacement, you won't be missing out - they're great speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                            The 1978 Celestion speakers in my 2x12 cabinet have finally given out. They just flub terribly whenever I chunk a chord at any volume above 2.
                            I see there are now roughly 15,000 different 12" guitar speakers on the market. There is no way I can try any of them out (no local shops have a variety in cabinets or amps).
                            How do I go about buying new speakers without going broke?
                            Somebody is selling a CD with recordings of a bunch of 12" speakers. I forgot who but I got it and it was very helpful.

I mean not helpful as in it didn't make a 4x12 any smaller... **** product.

Comment

You can have them rebuilt as well. Use a reputable facility and it ain't cheap, but it's a fair clip less than a new speaker. But shipping could make it close to a wash. Still worth it for speakers that there are no new equivalents of, or that the new versions just aren't as good.

Comment

Working...
                              X