Who is the ESP/Tokai/Yamaha of amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the ESP/Tokai/Yamaha of amps

A handful of japanese companies make excellent guitars that are equal quality wise against their US counterparts at more competitive prices.
    Are there any non US/UK companies that make amps as good as fender/boogie etc for less outlay?
    A deluxe reverb, mesa mark and rectifierr style would be extremely welcome?

Re: Who is the ESP/Tokai/Yamaha of amps

Jet City get's a lot of bang for your buck. Don't rule out Behringer for the price either. Some people might look down their nose, but you can dial in some good tones with them.

Comment

Blackstar, Jet City, and Egnater seem to all be pretty popular choices for tone on a budget.

Comment

Marshall, Blackstar, Jet City, Bugera...
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Since when is ESP cheap??
          LTD is cheap, but ESP....hehe

Comment

It's my understanding that Bugera holds the market on "copying other people's designs using sub-standard materials and craftsmanship" in the amp world.
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
              It's my understanding that Bugera holds the market on "copying other people's designs using sub-standard materials and craftsmanship" in the amp world.
              It's quality that I'm after, I think the fender/mesa 2nd hand market is probably the way forward, I'll have to find a jet city to check over

Can Bugera's be upgraded or are the general trannies/pcb's/chassis lousy?

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post
                It's quality that I'm after, I think the fender/mesa 2nd hand market is probably the way forward, I'll have to find a jet city to check over

People replace transformers (upgrade) on some Bugera's but the amps aren't built to be upgraded in general. The boards are thin (but no thinner that what is in something like a Peavey Valveking) with lots of surface mount components and wave soldering. I'd bet that factory repair on a board component that goes bad involves chucking the entire board and replacing it with a new one. The cabinets are MDF. Personally, I don't think I would buy a Bugera as a gigging amp but that doesn't mean that they cant hold up to gigging. I think you get a good sounding amp for the money, maybe even a good sounding amp, period. But they have to sacrifice somewhere to be able to sell them at the prices that they do. They aren't built to the quality standards of high end amps. That would be impossible at the price. I'm not bagging on them, I own two of them.

Comment

Amp-wise, I think you have choices of many different origins at many different price points that each have their selling points.

My particular ESP ltd EC100T is every bit at good as an American LP, probably better as it is Duncan-equipped. Heck, it is better as the neck fits my hand soooo much better than a typical LP. But I looked over a year to find the "one". The ltd quality has taken a hit over the last several year, though.

Comment

Traynor comes to mind. Canadian company, and their stuff is great. It's especially affordable when you can find good used amps. If you're going used, then also be on the lookout for Sovtek.

Comment

I wish I could get my hands on one of these.. gorgeous tones..

Love the evil tones here...metal as **** \m/

Killer looking head too!

I bought this little giant killer For $150! (Plus 150 shipping..)

Also saw a sweet little Chinese 15W Matamp/Green-type clone the other day ..it sounded pretty awesome. No vids up on youtube though..

Wish it was easier buying straight from China. I did it once (amp in the last video) ..but it was a hair-raising experience
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

How has Peavey not been mentioned yet? Their classic 50 is like a poorman's Bassman.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                          How has Peavey not been mentioned yet? Their classic 50 is like a poorman's Bassman.
                          I don't know if the Windsor is still being made, but that seemed like a good Marshall-style cheapo.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                            If substandard parts can hold up to being dimed into an attenuator set to bedroom levels then maybe the standard might be a bit pie in the sky.

Bugera had issues with the non-Infinium models early on, mainly with output transformers buying the farm. They've gotten their act together since. I've been spectacularly happy with my 1960 Infinium.
                            Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by regan View Post

Depends on the model you're after. The 1960 can use any part that's used in a Marshall 1959 circuit amp. In fact, a bunch of guys have modded theirs with ClassicTone 100W Plexi OTs as well as Heyboer and Mercury Magnetics.

The chassis is solid and heavy. I've pulled mine out a couple times to take a look around and once to change a fuse after an electrical surge. That happened while I was playing with everything dimed except for bass (around 3) and Volume 1 (bright) set to 7 into my Jettenuator set to somewhere around 1. My four-month-old daughter was enjoying me playing and I didn't want to blow her ears out. LOL

As far as the PCBs, I haven't seen any issues with them. I wouldn't overheat one with a soldering iron but it'll hold up to the abuses of playing it hard and some careful modding.
                              Nope...

Comment

Working...
                              X