Modeling Amp made useable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling Amp made useable

I have had my Fender G-Dec 15 combo for several years now. Always has been a meh amp, so it got kicked out for my Jet City once I got it.

I decided to experiment a bit, and was curious what kind of speaker it had in it..so I took off the back panel to look. Of course I found out it was a not labeled 8ohm 8" speaker.

Then I tried playing it with the back panel off, and wow...much better. The British settings are no where near my Jet City, but it is actually usable for those fender cravings, and the out of my normal sounds I might want. Still the cleans are better than the drives.

Running my Hall of Fame reverb out in front helped as well.

I guess some speakers and amps run better with more air behind them...

Am I putting anything at risk by doing this. Lord knows the warranty is long expired, so I don't have to worry about that.
    Last edited by TRex; 03-28-2016, 05:30 PM.

Re: Modeling Amp made useable

fwiw i installed a nice eminence (ragin cajun) in my buddys fender modelling amp. It sounded a lot nicer.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      fwiw i installed a nice eminence (ragin cajun) in my buddys fender modelling amp. It sounded a lot nicer.
      I'm actually considering buying a nicer speaker and wiring in to a jack so I can use the amp as a head or a cab...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

With some creative woodworking, you could make a cool lunchbox head out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          That would be cool...man i have too many projects going.

Comment

)
            Play more guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              Originally posted by TRex View Post
              That would be cool...man i have too many projects going.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                That is so freaking metal it hurts!

Comment

I still need to install the Effects Loop into it. (There's a guy on the Peavey forum that modded one of the daughter boards on the Vypyr and Vypyr VIP to add that.)

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

The $320 Fender Mustang 3 comes with a nice 12" Celestion and is a 75 watt amp.

Doesn't need a thing.

Did my first gig with it last weekend and although my presets that I set up at home needed some tweaking on the hardwood stage it worked out fine. The bass player thought it sounded great.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Drano Max View Post
                      That is so freaking metal it hurts!
                      That's so freaking metal I can smell the oxidation.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                        The $320 Fender Mustang 3 comes with a nice 12" Celestion and is a 75 watt amp.

Doesn't need a thing.

Did my first gig with it last weekend and although my presets that I set up at home needed some tweaking on the hardwood stage it worked out fine. The bass player thought it sounded great.
                        When I got mine years ago, there was a coupon to mail in for a free four button footswitch to go with the two button one. It worked well together. Six buttons.

I only bring that up if you are gigging and want to get super fancy pants.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
                          When I got mine years ago, there was a coupon to mail in for a free four button footswitch to go with the two button one. It worked well together. Six buttons.

I only bring that up if you are gigging and want to get super fancy pants.
                          Scott, I did do my first gig with it last weekend.

I arranged my personal presets to alternate CLEAN (Twin Reverb) with OVERDRIVEN (Marshall w/overdrive, Deluxe Reverb w/overdrive, AC30 w/overdrive, etc.)

That way I could use the 2 button footswitch to go up or down from CLEAN to OVERDRIVE and back to CLEAN again with a single tap. Worked well.

The four button footswitch didn't get used much but I had planned to use it to turn effects on and off, with one button for tuner, one button for overdrive pedal, one button for delay and one button for tremolo.

I really do think the Mustang III is a great $300 combo amp. It or the $200 Mustang II might be the best buy there is for a beginning guitarist's first amp.

I'm not a beginner but I still enjoy playing through it and it's much lighter than my Deluxe Reverb.
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I'd love to drop my Eminence Wizard into my Roland Cube 60.
                            I love how it sounds with the external cab and supposedly it's way better with a closed back.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I had you by 5 years on this one Lew! Haha.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X