Tube Dampers/Dampeners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Dampers/Dampeners?

Hi guys, i recently grabbed an 18w marshall combo and its fantastically unreal but does suffer from some tube rattle.

the place i plan to order from has 2 types. just curious if anyone has experience with the 2 as a comparison?

i dont plan to spend too much and was wondering if the more expensive square edged ones are worth the extra cost.

Tube Amp Preamp Dampers for 12AX7 12AU7 12AT7 ECC83 EL84 6922 EL84 5751 5687 | eBay

4 Sonikleer Tube Amp Dampers for 12AX7 12AU7 12AT7 12BH7 EL84 6922 5687 EL84 | eBay

thanks in advance.

Re: Tube Dampers/Dampeners?

I've seen those on eBay, but I've bought the less expensive ones on Amazon. They worked just fine. Its significantly reduced the noise from the older tubes I'm using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ive got some. they dont do anything.
      What you need is nice tight tube sockets. The next step is to have the preamp sockets with the metal cover, and some proper tube retainers for your power tubes if you really want to keep them secure.
      The issue of vibration is caused by the cabinet and therefore the amp chassis vibrating, causing the contact points to vibrate. Simply sticking on a rubber ring to the glass does diddly. If the socket is loose, you need a tighter socket and perhaps a method of keeping the tube still inside the socket.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I read good things about these
        Virtually all vacuum tubes are prone to distortion caused by microphonic vibrations. To overcome audible distortions, a titanium C-ring holds microphonics-absorbing pads against the vacuum tube bulb. The tube's sound is made more clear and precise, less fuzzy and less harsh. Tonal qualities are rendered more true and n
        tone slut
        Marshall DSL 40C
        Fender EVH Striped Series
        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
        Fender Squier Tele Affinity
        Mogami cables

Comment

Those in the ebay links look like hi-temp silicone O-rings and Bands. Sellers making a nice profit if that's what they are. I'd be concerned with the tubes running hotter because of how much glass surface they cover ... especially the larger band like ones.

Whether they work? I've made dampers more similar to the Herbies (linked in the post above) with a spring type wire and silicone or Teflon "absorbers" and they worked well on slightly microphonic NOS tubes in a phono stage and home audio amp. In a guitar amp, especially a combo, I doubt that they would have worked. But those are the ones I made. Maybe Herbies would work, I really don't know. I'm sure that success rate varies based on a lot of factors. Personally, I save my nicer tubes for home audio gear and use current production tubes in my guitar amps. If I have a microphonic tube, it get's yanked and replaced. Worth a try though if the tubes are expensive vintage tubes and worth the investment in the cost of the dampers.

Comment

yes the el84s and the ez81 dont have tube retainers. i found some wire type on the tube stores site. are they difficult to install? my el34 amp with spring type retainers appear they are mounted with the tube socket on the internal side of the housing.

would i need to open it off and remove the tube socket to install it between the socket and housing or can it be mounted on the tube side of the chassis?

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman16 View Post
              yes the el84s and the ez81 dont have tube retainers. i found some wire type on the tube stores site. are they difficult to install? my el34 amp with spring type retainers appear they are mounted with the tube socket on the internal side of the housing.

would i need to open it off and remove the tube socket to install it between the socket and housing or can it be mounted on the tube side of the chassis?
              If they are what I'm thinking about, there is a base that retains the tube clip. It's mounts on the outside. But, you have to remove the screws that retain the socket and reinstall them through the holes in the tube retainers base. I'm not sure if the hole pattern is exactly universal but I would think that it should work with the most common sockets.

One other thing. The retainers aren't made to serve the same purpose as dampers.
              Last edited by Darg1911; 03-31-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

i understand that. just wondering which would be ideal for my situation.

these are the retainers in question. http://www.thetubestore.com/Wire-Ret...L84-6BQ5-Types

Comment

Mesa simply uses a piece of heat shrink on their special 12AX7, and it works.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman16 View Post
                    i understand that. just wondering which would be ideal for my situation.

these are the retainers in question. http://www.thetubestore.com/Wire-Ret...L84-6BQ5-Types
                    I don't think those will stop the rattle, but it cant hurt to try, they are cheap enough. Worst case, you have tube retainers and they are easy enough to install or uninstall. You just have to pull the chassis.

Comment

Working...
                    X