No announcement yet.

Greenback tone with higher watt rating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greenback tone with higher watt rating?

I only have a 1x12 combo, so I just need the best sound possible from it. In that clip, when he switched to the 75 it sounded like a blanket was taken off the amp. I don't think I have a really edgy playing style like Mr. Mindbeginner....and I mean that in a complimentary way as I love most of the tone clips. I just need that extra push for my tone.... or you could say it needs all the help it can get.

The cost of the $75 doesn't bother me. I can sell the 65 after I get the 75 and make sure I like it. That will defray some of the cost, and we've all spent more than the speaker costs upgrading a guitar or something else chasing a sound.
    Play more guitar.

Comment

Zmb is on the money...

The h75 sounds more like a early 70s H30, compared to say the modern 70th anniversary h30. It is woodier and more present like a g12m20/25, but the overall tone is definitely heavy magnet without being as brash as the 70th anniv.

The creamback M is not as in your face as the lower watt g12ms. It's got more grunt in the lows as well..

IMO,/IME both creambacks really need some volume to deliver the mojo. For me the 12m 20 evh, and 70th anniversary work better.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
        The problem with Creambacks is that they're expensive and they're hard to find on the used market, especially the CB 75.
        There's is one in the trading post
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Celestion g12-50gl. Lynch back. I have one and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Greenbacks sound just like they do in no small part due to their low rating. IMO, the only way to get them to sound like "proper" Greenbacks while handling higher power is to use several of them at once. A 4x12 filled with them will handle your amp (and sound really damned *****in' too).

That said, there are some 50W ones that do really well. My favorite I've tried is the Eminence Legend GB128. Still not rated high enough for your amp, though.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I asked the same question a while back and Simon F suggested the Celestion Classic 80. Not as woody as a classic greenback but I really like it. The midrange is a bit smoother but it still cuts the mix nicely. Nice for classic and newer Marshalls.
              https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

@zenmindbeginner and @Red_Label
                Lot of the sound difference in that video might come from different position of the mics. From such a short distance even small change of the mic angle has lots of influence.

Besides, he didn't even let time for the speakers to break in, a comparison between brand new speakers is no serious comparison. I would never let such video to influent my decision. Rather try yourself.
                Last edited by 6p5p; 04-12-2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I've got a cream back 75 in my marshall jtm 45 clone and it sounds awesome, FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                    I asked the same question a while back and Simon F suggested the Celestion Classic 80. Not as woody as a classic greenback but I really like it. The midrange is a bit smoother but it still cuts the mix nicely. Nice for classic and newer Marshalls.
                    Interesting, that was the other Celestion I was interested on, I have read it is kind of a versatile speaker that makes the solos to sound nice.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

A little off topic, but Guthrie Trapp reckons he likes using the private jack in all his low wattage fenders. I took his advice and put one in my princeton. Sounds really great. Sweet top end, woody warmth and just the right amount of low end, not loose muffled and honky in an open cab like a real greenback. Definitely worth trying for anyone with a deluxe reverb etc.
                      Prolly wont help the OP much tho cos its still a 50 watt speaker but im kinda sold on it big time in this configuration. Much more fun than the bass heavy cannabis rex i have been used to.
                      Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-14-2016, 09:30 PM.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thought about putting a Greenback in my Peavey but they're only 25w.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken Bowling View Post
                          Thought about putting a Greenback in my Peavey but they're only 25w.
                          eminence private jack or celestion g12m creamback will work.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I recently purchased 2 of the 65 creambacks, the 75 sounded like it had more of the upper midrange similar to vintage 30's. I wanted the bassier/darkest speaker so that's why I went with the 65. I have a 2x12 with greenbacks in it, the 2x12 65 definitely sounds like a 4x12 of greenbacks. Hats off to celestion, they made a 2x12 sound like a 4x12.

Comment

Working...
                            X