Marshall DSL40c - Speaker Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL40c - Speaker Question

Hey All... I'm not great with speaker ohm ratings. My 1x12 combo currently has a 16 ohm Celestion G12M-65 creamback in it. I want to switch to the G12H-75, but the one I've found is 8 ohm. Now. My combo has 3 taps. The 16ohm tap has a lightening bolt next to it. I then have two 8 ohm taps, one with and one without a lightening bolt next to it. In my pea brain, this tells me I can indeed use an 8 ohm speaker, plugged into the tap with the lightening bolt, like the 16ohm tap.

Is that correct? Secondly, if this speaker does work, how will going from a 16 to an 8 ohm speaker change my tone? Third, is my 40watt amp powerful enough to push the 75?

In the other Celestion thread, Gearjoneser posted a shootout between the 65 and 75. The 75 had tighter bass, and more clarity to my ears, vs the 65, which sounded more compressed and all midrange, not enough clarity. I only had my amp for about a week before I changed out the power tubes to some nice NOS Siemens EL34's. The tubes in there were terrible. Bright, glassy, no depth. I also swapped all the pre amp tubes for quality NOS tubes I had stored away for a rainy day. I know they sound great as I've used them in several prior Marshalls.

But ever since, the amp has sounded like it has a blanket on it. The 75 sounds like it might just be the ticket for me, as long as the ohm rating will work, my amp is powerful enough to push it and of course if changing ohm ratings won't be a negative.

Thanks.
    Play more guitar.

Re: Marshall DSL40c - Speaker Question

On how to connect the speaker, from the manual at https://marshallamps.com/wp-content/...40-100-hbk.pdf

7. 16 Ω SPEAKER OUTPUT
    For the connection of a 16 Ω speaker cabinet. It should be noted that when this Speaker Output is in use the remaining Speaker Outputs (8 & 9) are not operational.

8. & 9. 8 Ω SPEAKER OUTPUTS
    For use when the total impedance of the speaker cabinet(s) being used is 8Ω. That is, when using either 1 x 8Ω cab or 2 x 16Ω cabs.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

So I would be using the 1 x 8 ohm as referenced in #8. So that should mean I'm good to use it. Since both of the other inputs are marked 8 ohms, I'll use the one labeled like the 16 ohm input currently being used. Thank you for that. I can do a lot of things well, but technical details, especially electronic in nature, really get me turned around and then I second guess myself. Thank you IMENATOR.

So now what about the tone? Any significant change at 8 vs 16 ohms? Is there a difference in actual volume? Does the tone get warmer, brighter, stiffer or change in any meaningful way?
      Play more guitar.

Comment

From what I understand, the lower the ohmage, the looser the response.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I went from the stock speaker 16 ohm to a 8 ohm the british lead,its a warmer speaker I guess the response is the same.
          tone slut
          Marshall DSL 40C
          Fender EVH Striped Series
          Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
          Fender Squier Tele Affinity
          Mogami cables

Comment

Working...
          X