vocal pa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vocal pa?

Ok I'm kinda new to this. My bands singer wants to get a better PA/amp thing for his mic, and no one in the band knows where to start. Would you be able to just get a regular PA monitor and plug straight into it, or is there a special monitor I need?

Thanks
    Epiphone Explorer w/ SD Distortions
    Charvel Desolation Soloist w/ EMG 81/85
    Squier Standard HH Strat

Re: vocal pa?

there are multiple components to a PA...you cant just plug a mic into a monitor. Do a little research first on what a PA is and a basic setup and we can help narrow down from there.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Did some research, is this something I could use?

Get the guaranteed best price on Powered PA Speakers like the Kustom PA KPM210 100W Dual 10" 2-Way Powered Monitor at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.
      Squier Standard HH Strat

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
        there are multiple components to a PA...you cant just plug a mic into a monitor. Do a little research first on what a PA is and a basic setup and we can help narrow down from there.
        That isn't entirely true. You can just plug a microphone into many active monitors and it would work, though it probably wouldn't be the best option unless you're broke and don't currently have any PA.

If your band has any PA at all, we'd need to know what you have now and what the issue is to say more. For example if your singer can't be heard, it could be a case of poor microphone choice or needing to EQ his channel differently.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by probo_squad_henry View Post
          Did some research, is this something I could use?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...monitor?pfm=sp
          That would technically work, but I doubt it would work all that well. See my previous about being completely broke without PA.
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

We've got a 60 watt powered monitor right now, and he isn't heard at all. Would that be because of bad EQing, or just because we have two 100 watt half stacks and a loud drummer?
            Squier Standard HH Strat

Comment

I see this one can accept mic level, but your still not going to get nearly what you can out of it imo.

Most active monitors cannot accept mic input. Plus, I would avoid this as having one control over pre/power volume will lead to extra noise since your not properly gain staging.

I do agree with Dystrust though - What do you currently have? you might not need a new PA at all.

Comment

We've got a 60 watt powered monitor right now, and he isn't heard at all. Would that be because of bad EQing, or just because we have two 100 watt half stacks and a loud drummer?
                1 60W isn't going to cut it for sure. However, if he has a powered monitor we can ADD vs replace.

What else is in the chain? Mic? Board etc? also, what model monitor is it?

Comment

The speaker you found won't be much louder than what you have now; I have doubts as to whether you'd even notice. If I were in your place I'd start looking at used PA gear and try to find a powered mixer with a pair of 12s. Bare minimum I'd want 200W into each speaker, and 300+ would be better.

Comment

Get the guaranteed best price on Live Sound Packages like the Harbinger M60 60W, 4-Channel Compact Portable PA with 10" Speakers at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...

This is what we have right now
                    Squier Standard HH Strat

Comment

Your mixer/head has record outs so you could use one of those to drive a self powered monitor. EV, JBL, Carvin, Peavey etc...everybody makes them. If it's just for vocal duties a 10 or 12 inch woofer will do nicely. I'd try for something in the 400 watt range like ....

Since 1946 Carvin has been designing professional audio systems, guitar amplifiers, bass amplifiers and wireless systems. Kiesel Family owned and operated.

Comment

What's the power rating on the speakers? You can find powered boards pretty cheap on the used market. So you could beef up your current AND add a powered monitor as well.

Otherwise SlyFoxx's idea will work as well

Comment

PAs are dirt cheap now compared to years ago. I would check your local Craigslist for a system. Bands are constantly breaking up and unloading PA gear. I would imagine for around a $300 investment you should be able to find something much more useable than a single powered monitor.

Comment

Maybe turn down the rest of the instruments a bit? A good rule is that if you can't hear the kick drum without putting a mic on it, then you're too loud.
                            -
                            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

We can hear everything fine except for the vocals. We can't turn them up loud, whenever we put the volume to around 3 1/2 or 4 we start to get this weird bassy feedback
                              Squier Standard HH Strat

Comment

Working...
                              X