A Rig that works for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rig that works for you?

I'm like most where I started with a modest amp in my early days then to Stacks & Racks, tons of stuff (hundreds of amps & guitars) now for convenience this rig works for me. I've always been a big fan of Marshall amps, had many modified by great tech's: Arrendondo, Cameron, Jackson plus all the boutique names: Bogner Ecstasy 100b, 101b, Classic & Shiva (modified High-Gain EL34 / PCB Rev:03) / Soldano SLO (3), HR100xl, Astroverb (2) / VHT Pittbull Classic, CAA PT100,
    Mesa/Boogie MKIV (2), S.O.B., MKII-C and many Fenders, Twins, Deluxe etc. To my most current Rig, where years of experience and styles have led me to this.

Just wondered what others have found in their years "That works for you?" You evolve over the years, for me classical jazz rock, progressive fusion pop (also blues & hard rock).

Re: A Rig that works for you?

Similar story here, except my path brought me to lower and lower wattage amps played full-out. I went from a rack with an ENGL preamp and Marshall 100/100 into a full stack to a 2W Jeff Bober amp and lots of pedals. When gigging I will supplement the 2W amp with a second amp at the same volume to fill in the corners and play wet/dry.

Main amp: EAST Studio 2
    Secondary amps: Bumbox Cielo, Lil Dawg Champster
    Tertiary amps: Laney Pro-Tube 30, MESA Trem-o-verb

Pedals: too many to list
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hi Twilight, I know what you mean! I went from a lot to carry (friends or transport co./time on the road would move) to Fractal AxEfx II, Fryette Power station and a 1x12 cab. I was never satisfied with Modelers/simulators processors, there great in the studio or for the Effects with tone shaping, but Never sound and felt like a Real Tube Amp! Players like Vai, Petrucci & Lifeson never relied on Simulators, they still used "Tube Amps" to get their tone and the processor for effects. This setup for me is "Ideal" Very Versatile not the lightest to carry, but it's worth it!

Comment

How do you like the Power Station?
        I heard it's brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          How do you like the Power Station?
          I heard it's brilliant.
          It is "Very Nice" if you need an Attenuator/50w Poweramp/Effects Loop built into one device, then it could be great! The only thing to remember:
          1. Power Cord
          2. 6L6(2) 12AX7(1) tubes that will need changing from time to time.
          3. Fan, not loud but in the middle of the night, you can hear it.
          ***Great Fryette Products***

I prefer because I only needed a Attenuator:
          Rivera Rock Crusher, the benefits:
          1. No Power Cord
          2. No Tubes to replace
          3. No Fan, absolutely silent

In the end "ALL Attenuators Degrade Tone" I sold both Rivera & Fryette because my amps (Friedman & Soldano) have Incredible Master-Volumes! I was trying to get this "Power Tube" tone but there other factors like room, Speakers being pushed etc. They are really built for Non-Master-Volume amps! or amplifiers that "Jump" volume from 1 to OMG loud??? They will get you close though. "Which One sounded better?" that's hard to say?? either one you can EQ the difference to sound great. The Fryette is nice if you have a lower volume amp and wanted to boost it for "Live Performances", the EFX-Loop is great for non-Efx-Loop amps like older Marshall's.

I will say the Friedman BE100 sounds more "Live Performance" at lower volume!!! The SLO sounds Incredible for Live Playing. I love the BE because of the EL34's and is incredible for live playing but the SLO is an Legendary amp, and the "SLO" in the photo is "My Son's" Amp.

One of my son's guitars that he uses through the SLO, the cab has Celestion G12K-100 speakers, it sounds incredible with his Seven-String by TK Instruments (All built by hand, No CNC)

Last edited by mantrasky; 04-17-2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

That is one sweet setup!

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-16 2_zps8sgqfjpw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	5792722

What mic is that, and what mic-pre do you like/use?

Comment

sE X1/SM57 combo?

Comment

Rocktron Voodu Valve

Liked it so much I bought a Chameleon(cheap) as a back-up...

Lotsa stuff on the blink lately,tho,just using a Marshall & some pedals at this point.
                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                  Lotsa stuff on the blink lately . . .
                  You might know someone who can fix that s**t. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    That is one sweet setup!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71840[/ATTACH]

What mic is that, and what mic-pre do you like/use?
                    Hello, Twilight was "right" it is a sE X1R (Ribbon) and the studio standard Shure SM57 (I've used the 57 for 30yrs) I like using the SM57 for rock music and the Ribbon for clean stuff, but I have a dozen different type (AKG, Sennheiser etc.) condensers, ribbon, dynamic, I also use different combinations, as I'm introducing more instruments. Mic Pre's I use "Summit Audio 2BA-221" I also use RME Audio Interface that has killer pre's. I really like to get the best tones with microphones, and sparingly use EQing.

Thank You ArtieToo, its a nice rig that has been working for me in a number of situations. I have a few things here and there
                    Last edited by mantrasky; 04-17-2016, 12:24 PM.

Comment

There is no one thing that works for me.

That said - I do love my Marshall VS100. Three channels, great sound, rugged, light and easy to maintain!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

My journey is probably similar.

High school: Half-stack. Started with a Peavey head & cabinet, then a Marshall head w/Peavey cab, then all Marshall Half-stack
                        'Gigging Musician' years: two full Marshall stacks
                        Have Kids years: whatever was easiest to move. GK-250ML, Music Man 110RD50, Marshall Lead12 combo, Ampeg G-10,
                        Now: Marshall 4001 (Studio 15)

Comment

That is an awesome setup!

I'm still evolving... But so is my target tone.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I used to be a total metalhead, so i always approached everything as "What sounds better for metal." Now I'm approaching everything from the standpoint of "What is a more versatile setup?" because I play a bit of everything. I went from being a 4x12 half stack only guy with pedals to loving smaller amps and pedals to being a full on modeling junkie. When I start recording school in the fall I'm gonna get a Line 6 Helix unit and a Mission Engineering 2x12 cab with a built in power amp and I'm going to sell my current Line 6 Pod HD500 and small Vox amp to a friend of mine who's already called dibs on it.
                            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                            Line 6 Helix
                            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by ant_riv View Post
                              My journey is probably similar.

High school: Half-stack. Started with a Peavey head & cabinet, then a Marshall head w/Peavey cab, then all Marshall Half-stack
                              'Gigging Musician' years: two full Marshall stacks
                              Have Kids years: whatever was easiest to move. GK-250ML, Music Man 110RD50, Marshall Lead12 combo, Ampeg G-10,
                              Now: Marshall 4001 (Studio 15)
                              Yes, what you say is true ant_riv, the family is the most important and those days with the gear is an awesome memories, keep any and all of your songs so your kids can enjoy them!

Comment

Working...
                              X