Question for Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 users

I've got a Marshall TSL60 head on a 1936 cab. I'm considering selling the TSL60 head. It's been way too long since I've been in a band, and it's too big of an amp for practicing at home.

I've been looking at the 25 Watt Mesa Boogie Mark V head. I'm thinking the 10 and 25 Watt options would make it suitable for home practice.

I'd like an amp that covers a wide range of tones, Pearl Jam (Ten, Vs, Vitalogy), The Darkness, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Guns n Roses, Tool, AC DC, Coheed and Cambria, Steel Panther (they are f*(&ing rad!!!), STP, Satriani, Foo Fighters, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, SRV, Metallica (Black album), and a bunch of others that I can't think of right now.

Obviously no one amp can do everything, but I'd be happy with one that gets me in the ballpark and to use a pedal to get me the rest of the way.

Anyway, if you happen to have a Mesa Mark V, I'd be grateful to hear your experience with the amp and what sounds you get out of it.

Cheers
    Last edited by drjones; 04-18-2016, 04:56 AM.

Re: Question for Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 users

I have the full size, from what I've heard the MkV:25 is pretty good at sounding like it's big brother. With enough tweaking of the settings you should be able to get the tones needed for most of the bands you listed, but having the Edge and MkI modes in the bigger amp would make it easier. Crunch mode can be tweaked to get most of your Marshall tones, but will have less upper and more lower mids. Metallica shouldn't be a problem on MkII C+ mode as that was one of their main studio amps back then. For Coheed, Claudio's Dual Recto tone might be tricky, but Travis uses MkVs in the studio.
    Be sure to read the manual, coming from a Marshall takes some adjustment as you cant just set the dials to your normal spot and go. All of the controls interact with each other and changing one can make a big change to sometging else. If the manual has the drawings of the front panel to mark down your settings I would highly recommend making several extra copies and every time you find a setting for a band you like write it down, it becomes very difficult to keep track after a while as there are so many good tones in these amps if you're willing to put the time in dialing it in.
    sigpic
    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I own a Mark IV and there is a Mark V in my friend's shop that I play pretty much weekly.

Any Mesa will sound good a low volumes. My Mark IV is fine at home, my roadking (even at the 120 watt setting) is fine for home use. The Mark V 25 is still loud.
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I have IIIs, a IV, a V and a V:25; Maverick 212, and a DC-3. All sound good at low volume. The Simul-Class combos can go down to 15 watts and sounds really creamy when pushed.

If there is a more versatile amp than the Mark V, it would have to be a digital modeler, but I much prefer tube tone. Change the channel, flip a switch, adjust the EQ and it feels like an entirely different amp. Not found a bad setting yet.

The V:25 has the same great feel, but does sound a little different with the EL84s, but it is a slight difference. The 10 watt setting can still get loud. In 25 watt mode, it is still pretty dynamic, but nothing like the full power settings of the big daddy.

For about the same price as the V:25 you can probably find a Mark IV head or 112 EVM combo. There are advantages to both, but if you need more clean dynamics and punch then try the IV. I've gigged for years with a EVM combo on top of a Mesa 112 EVM Thiele cab, and that is a sweet rig. I like the open-plus-closed cab setup. I use 6L6s with EL-34s in the Simul-Class sockets. A bit of a learning curve, but worth it.

And the other amp to consider is the new V-35. A few more features than the 25. Might be worth looking at if want a little extra power.

But if you are not playing out, the V:25 is all you need. It's a great amp. I was very lucky to find mine used at such a great price. And it has put a big smile on my face every time I've plugged in.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys,

What would the difference between the Mark V25 and say the 25 watt rectifier, Express 25 or Rectoverb be?
          Last edited by drjones; 04-22-2016, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I had a TSL60 head, couldn't sell it fast enough. IMO, the DSL and JVM were better Marshalls. The Mark series is one of the best amps out there. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X