Noob speaker questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob speaker questions

So my new amp is loud as frack! I recently picked up a Phaez D-style combo and I love it but being a bedroom player for now I kinda want to tame it a bit. It came with a Mesa black shadow 90 in it (the Celestion). Does anyone know how efficient those are? I've read that they are a modified cl80 which has a spl like 100/101ish. Would going to something like a greenback at 96/97 db make a noticeable drop in volume? I have also come to realize I love mids. Keep the amp set at presence/4, bass/6, mids/9, tre/5, and adjust bright/cut to suit guitar. Amp is two 6v6s so guessing 20-30watts. I have looked around and the scumback m75ld seems like it might do what I want IF I'm on the right track here.... thoughts/suggestions greatly apprecited guys.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Re: Noob speaker questions

Using less efficient speakers does reduce the volume. 3dbs is noticable but whether it will bring it down to bedroom levels??? But it does tame it some. G12Ms do have more mids. The 96db G12EVH/G12M heritage will give you the most db reduction and it sounds real good in my opinion. It should handle the wattage. They are under rated at 20 watts. They handle 25 watts. The Mojotone G12M25 clone is the next quietest. The Standard Celestion re-issue G12M is now 98db so the loudness reduction is marginal compared to the Classic Lead's 99-100db

Comment

Originally posted by 84camarofreak View Post
      Would going to something like a greenback at 96/97 db make a noticeable drop in volume?
      yes
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!! Definitely wasn't expecting a speaker swap to bring it completely to bedroom levels, know enough to know that's unrealistic. Just hoping for more mids and maybe push the guts a little harder without going def

Comment

Noticeable, slightly, bring 20W down to bedroom levels, hmm, probably not. An attenuator might be a better investment(?).

Comment

It has a great master, just want to take the edge off a bit. And my untrained ears find the black shadow kinda flat. It's my first kinda serious amp and now I'm just trying to find what really makes me happy tone wise. The amp sounds great I just want to get it dialed in I guess. Lots of people like greenback style speakers in alot of different amps so I thought that would be a good place to start

Comment

Those black shadows are very flat and very efficient. They are much better suited to more powerful amps like 50 watters and even then they still run pretty cold, hifi and lifeless.
              Greenbacks are cool speakers but they do have a distinctive woody bark and can seem pretty loose sounding in an open back cab. A greenback will smooth the highs and reduce the volume a noticeable amount, but if it is an open cab, you might find that a greenback style speaker with a higher wattage rating such as a creamback g12m or an eminence private jack will give you a more fat and warm tone.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Good recommendations in the previous posts, so nothing to add there.
                My experience is similar to gibson175.

Congratulations on the Phaez!

I have a SIBLY and a JTM18+ and love them!
                Phaez are great hand-made amps that are affordable and mostly under the radar. I was turned on to them by guys over at the MLP forum. Phaez seems to be unknown everywhere else, though.

Please update this thread with what you finally settle on.
                I have a couple of different options I use, but my favorite is a Marshall 1965a cab that has 4x10 Celestion G10L-35 speakers. This is for the band, in the living room I use a Creamback in an open back Avatar 1x12 cab.

Comment

Working...
                X