banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD- wait a minute...didn't I just get my DSL worked out?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD- wait a minute...didn't I just get my DSL worked out?.

Not THAT kind of "A" in NAD

This kind of A
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: NAD- wait a minute...didn't I just get my DSL worked out?.

Nice, I like the new look (I have an old black box one).

Let us know how it works out for you!
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Cool, what is that? Attenuator? Does it have a reactive load?
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        Cool, what is that? Attenuator? Does it have a reactive load?
        The MASS line uses an actual speaker motor inside the box without the cone, so the impedance curve is closer to using a full-on speaker than using a big resistor or a different inductive load.
        Nope...

Comment

Thanks for the info!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Ive fiddled around with it for around 4 hours..between yesterday and today. I am running my ds40 l in full power mode and master volume at 2 oclock...WAY TOO FRICKING LOUD FOR A HOME. Normally in 40w mode, I am at 11 oclock on the master and that is still loud enough (through a 2x12) to get the neighbors attention.

Initial impressions
            1) low range...for lowest output volume..I.e. max attenuation....meh. buzz fest. It has a kind of artificial added harshness to it. If you are looking for nightime practice levels out of your 50w+ amp and still want it to sound decent enough to record .....buy a modeller. Sounds awful IMO.

2) High range...for taking a few to several db off your cranked amp- much better. Its pretty easy to dial in something that sounds good, but the more you attentuate, the weirder things feel playing...it kills touch dynamics and gets kinda rubber bandy and stiff at the same time. It definitely feels like something is between your guitar and amp. At minimum attentuation, its not too bad, but it quickly shows up as you attenuate more and more. This might be the motor and it not reacting quickly enough? Its very strange.

3) As is often stated, and same as my previous experience with attenuators...best for taking the edge off a loud amp. Once the speakers stop working all that much, the tone and feel really suffers. Low watt amp is a much better choice. E.g. the DSL attenuated to the same kind of volumes my OR15 or TM18 at 2oclock on the master would put out, sounds and feels like ass. Whereas those lower watt amps are at their sweet spot.

4) The dsl in triode mode (half power) sounds softer and more bland but remains much more dynamic in feel at similar volumes to an attenuated full power mode.

Unsure if this will remain in my possession or be returned. Need more time.
            Last edited by JeffB; 04-26-2016, 01:13 PM.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Yeah give it some more time, and remember, ANYTHING is going to change the feel of the amp.

I agree with you that the low range is pretty much useless. I use mine mainly for recording at home, and have learned to dial it in accordingly, it definitely took some time.

Overall I agree with you though, best for taking the edge off. I personally think that for 'bedroom levels' a tube amp is just never gunna cut it as there is too much of a volume/ tone trade off.
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                Yeah give it some more time, and remember, ANYTHING is going to change the feel of the amp.

I agree with you that the low range is pretty much useless. I use mine mainly for recording at home, and have learned to dial it in accordingly, it definitely took some time.

Overall I agree with you though, best for taking the edge off. I personally think that for 'bedroom levels' a tube amp is just never gunna cut it as there is too much of a volume/ tone trade off.
                Yeah, I knew it would not do well at what most folks think of as bedroom levels, nor did I buy it for that.I learned that lesson a long time ago.But I did hope I could knock it down to around the same kind of levels as my old OR15 cranked and keep it dynamic and sounding good. The sound is so-so , but the dynamics are just squashed..like a bad compressor in front of a Line6 spyder

Comment

I use my mass with a 20w amp sometimes and it works well. I agree that more than a little and the feel starts to suffer. Still it works well for what I use it for

Comment

I dont have any problems with the dsl at bedroom levels and im talking about having it between 0 and 1 right in between its loud enough to practice and sound pretty full with the warehouse speaker and record well with it also. Playing loud oh yeah the crunch is going to 7 on the volume, thats the sweet spot
                    tone slut
                    Marshall DSL 40C
                    Fender EVH Striped Series
                    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                    Mogami cables

Comment

For super low volume I have a little blackstar core ID. Sounds alot better than the DSL =<1 on the master (or 3 for that matter, Imo) I just don't like tube amps at those kinds of volumes. they sound anemic with no speaker push..
                      Last edited by JeffB; 04-27-2016, 02:05 PM. Reason: Auto correct..grrr

Comment

I gave it the max amount of time I could before the return window was closed.

It's going back. It's OK/passable on the absolute minimum amount of attenuation , but I just don't care for the way it neuters the feel and.tone. I end up turning the dsl off and plugging into the blackstar.

Comment

my mass is an old one that just has one knob, not sure how different yours is. at least you got to try it and send it back, if it dont work for ya, aint no reason to keep it

Comment

Working...
                          X