banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a 50-watt JCM2000 with a 412 speaker too loud for home use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 50-watt JCM2000 with a 412 speaker too loud for home use?

I play in my basement so I can be a little loud, but I obviously can't just blast it. Compared to a fender frontman, how would it sound for home use and recording? Some people seem to be saying that lower wattages would be better, but I want to also use it for recording and playing live. Considering the fact that my brother works on homework two stories above my basement and needs to concentrate while I practice, is 50 watts too much?

Re: Is a 50-watt JCM2000 with a 412 speaker too loud for home use?

With that amp's controls, the wattage is fine for home. But a 4x12 cabinet moves a whole lot of air. I'd think about getting a 2x10 or 1x12 cab for home use.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

There is a fantastic quote inside the front pages of some old music book I bought way back in the '70s on this very topic ...

"It depends on where you live and how long you intend to live there."
      Last edited by crusty philtrum; 05-09-2016, 08:29 PM.
      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I would say a 2x12 marshall cab
        Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Amps: Marshall 1959slp & Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)

Comment

they feel like a smaller 4x12 just with less speakers, I think they sound GREAT
          Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Comment

The JC2000s have good master volumes so, yeah, you can turn it down, but a 4-12 cabinet is way overkill for home use, even in the basement. You'll end up having to turn it down so low you might as well be using a ss practice amp.

Comment

For my taste a 50w (modern hi-gain w/master) turned down low is much better tone than a 5/10/20w turned up, or turned med/low for that matter.
              Generally speaking a higher wattage will give a more "solid" thump to the lows and a more "glassy" clarity to the highs,,,,,,,,,( if they were the same model 50w vs 100w just say)

Really 50w is just a great balance of tone and authority, especially for rock/metal.

412 vs 212 won't make a huge difference in volume, and since you're in the basement anyways go 412 IMO.,,,,,,,,unless you have to haul it by yourself. lol
              50w w/212 is about the perfect portable rig though IMO
              Last edited by dave74; 05-09-2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                For my taste a 50w (modern hi-gain w/master) turned down low is much better tone than a 5/10/20w turned up, or turned med/low for that matter.
                Generally speaking a higher wattage will give a more "solid" thump to the lows and a more "glassy" clarity to the highs,,,,,,,,,( if they were the same model 50w vs 100w just say)

Really 50w is just a great balance of tone and authority, especially for rock/metal.

412 vs 212 won't make a huge difference in volume, and since you're in the basement anyways go 412 IMO.,,,,,,,,unless you have to haul it by yourself. lol
                50w w/212 is about the perfect portable rig though IMO
                won't change in volume but it will change how high you can set the the volume.

Comment

The 4x12 will be fine at home while you save up for a 1x12 or an iso cab. I use a 6x12 in a duplex and never get complaints. It doesn't sound as good as when i can crank it at a gig, but it sounds good enough to practice scales and riffs while i watch Bob's Burgers.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I would say 50 is too much if your just playing on your own at home. No matter how much better modern Marshall's are at lower volume's, it still wont sound great until its up loud enough
                    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I really like the tone I get from my 50 watt "Marshall" into a 4x12 with the master turned down for acceptable home use. But, it doesn't sound the same as it does when it's cranked ...

So, if anything less than too loud for home use sounds bad to you, then the amp is too loud for home use.

Comment

nothing sounds better that a 4x12..true is does move more air but thats why nothing sounds like it. to me, just has a more intoxicating bass response and growl than a 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          This has been my experience with low wattage amps versus high wattage ones with a good master volume. I much prefer higher wattage with a good master volume.

2X12 vs. 4X12...well nothing quite sounds like a 4X12. The best 2X12 I've used that fills space is my Fryette which is very much like a Bogner 2X12. (Tall and wide) Otherwise they just sound....small compared to a 4X12.

I used a 4X12 in my basement for years, but then again I have a tolerant wife/neighbors, good space between our houses and kids that sleep through anything.

Comment

Yes it is, well for me anyway. I used to own a JCM2000 but I couldn't play it in the house without annoying the neighbours if I turned it up to 2. I sold that about 3 years ago and got a 6505+ but I never play that in the house either, its just for gigs with a 4 x 12. For home stuff I use a 15 watt practice amp or if recording, a Line 6 UX-1.

Comment

I'm running a 100W JVM410H. I switch my 4X12 to stereo mode and use 2 of the 4 speakers in 8 ohm. I believe there is only a 3 dB difference between 2 vs 4 speakers so it doesn't reduce the volume that much but it is a little quieter. Plus doing this you still get the big sound due to the large volume of the cab. Also there is a 3 dB difference between a 50w and 100w head so you would be another 3 dB quieter than me.
                              Last edited by Imperfect; 05-11-2016, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X