Best 212 cab for a JCM2000 DSL 50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 212 cab for a JCM2000 DSL 50?

I play mostly traditional/retro metal (iron maiden, black sabbath, the sword, etc) through an ss amp and need an upgrade. I play in the basement of my moms house, so I can't be too loud (when she's home . Anyways, I picked out the DSL 50, and now need a cab that's at least somewhat affordable used (less than 750 used.)

From my research, v30s seem like the best speakers, and I'm looking at Marshall and Orange cabs right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Best 212 cab for a JCM2000 DSL 50?

I understand that the newer Marshall 1936 is made out of birch ply once again. The DSL 50 head is 30" wide and so is the 1936. I always think that heads wider than the cab look stupid, but that's me. I don't know how wide the Orange cab is, but they have a good reputation and usually have V30s.

There is a version of the 1936 with V30s, called the 1936V. The Marshall Vintage speakers are good versions of the V30 once they are finally broken in. Any speaker not broke in will sound harsh. V30s are very loud though. You probably won't be able to get it up above 2 on the master, and that will make breaking the speakers in a long process. But I agree that the DSL amps sound better with V30s. I think DSLs sound terrible through the standard G12T75s, except for cleans, but that is only my opinion.

Buying a used cab with more broke in speakers is another option, but many used cabs don't really have broke in speakers in them, anyway, seeing only mild use.

Comment

Avatar's 212 cabs are oversized, all sides thick birch, within your budget (even new), and available with whatever speakers you want.
      I'm not a fan of their v30's though (chinese version), but for a small upcharge I'd suggest the creamback combo (one H and one M).
      If you enjoy some thud then maybe a k100 and cbH75, or the k100 with a cl80,,,,,,,or an ect..,,,,,,,,,,
      I have a 212-sig w/ two k100s, but I usually run my mesa 212 at the same time for a massive fullness.

Comment

I have a few cabs I use with my JCM 2000. For band practice I use a JCM 900, sounds great. I also have a MX212. I love it because it fits in my trunk and is easy to move. I have also always liked Seventy 80 speakers, they are great for hard rock and metal. Don't get hung up on price = value or if one component is great all others must be crap. The MX212 is a priced right great cab. I have yet to have someone complain about the tone. I would suggest going to a store and playing a bunch of cabs. You might find something you like without blowing your entire budget.

Comment

I bet a 2x12 loaded with an Eminence Cannabis Rex and Screaming Eagle would sound fantastic.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X