Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop amps, anyone?

Greetings, Duncanites.

Just checking how many of us here have faith in desktop amps? Regardless of the brand name, do you think it's worth having one for days when you feel like, say, playing outdoors?

Before the Blackstar Fly 3 came about, I totally despise these things because cost-wise, the littlest practice unit lists for a tad more than a novelty desktop amp which sounds terrible for the most part. Maybe you have one which you think we should check out- please share (with pics if possible). Thanks loads.
    Psychic Horns

Re: Desktop amps, anyone?

The Yamaha THR is kickass!

Comment

Size-wise, compared to anything else that I use, my IDcore20 practice amp belongs to that category. I keep it on the desk anyway.

I tend to carry it everywhere in the car and practice whenever I have some free time. This little one sounds ridiculously good for its class I think, is really light and due to its linear stereo speakers, any audio sounds great through them using the stereo line in. I am planning to create some decent video about it some time.
      Wackor
      Ørdøg
      NecroPolo
      Diabolus in Musica
      SIDrip Alliance
      Book of Shadows
      RKH

Comment

Oh, yes. I've recently discovered how great they can be.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I use an Emery Superbaby. For desktop, using a Weber MASS plugged into a personal monitor system. For bedroom use, plugged into a 1 x 12 Randall Celestion cab.

Comment

I've got a roland cubelite it sounds good for what it is, a low volume practice amp.
            This means it still sounds better than any valve amp I know of at conversation level volume.

Comment

I have a Blackstar Fly 3, and absolutely LOVE it.

Comment

I had one because I was traveling a lot for jazz band gigs as well as various summer opportunities in high school. I don't have it anymore though mostly because I'm doing a lot less traveling and I needed some cash.
                Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 05-16-2016, 10:15 PM.
                Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Not only do I have a desktop amp, but a desktop Gibson Flying V as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4144 - Copy_zpskqyflsw5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	5792970

Comment

I haven't heard an amp that size that sounds even close to good
                    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                      I haven't heard an amp that size that sounds even close to good
                      What is 'good'? I feel that if it keeps you playing, it could sound like a cat in a blender...
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

What if my amp *is* my desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                          What is 'good'? I feel that if it keeps you playing, it could sound like a cat in a blender...
                          I tried to like them, rather play unplugged.

The little yamaha's arn't bad, I was referring more to the 'belt clip' size.
                          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
                            I tried to like them, rather play unplugged.

The little yamaha's arn't bad, I was referring more to the 'belt clip' size.
                            You might be surprised with the sound you can get out of one.
                            I mic'd my MS-2 with a 57 and got a surprisingly good tone. I was HOPING for something trashy!
                            My considerably larger Peavy Back Stage, however, is pants.
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I've used a Pignose since 1989. Does that count???

I love that little thing as much as the day I got it.
                              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Working...
                              X