Another 5F1 Amp mod question - 6L6 mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 5F1 Amp mod question - 6L6 mod

I was looking at a Vibro Champ schematic with a 6L6 in it. It had a 5U4 rectifier, I'm wondering if I replaced the 5Y3 rectifier with a 5U4 and the 6V6 with a 6L6 if I'd get the few extra Watts and headroom of a 6L6. Any opinions?

Re: Another 5F1 Amp mod question - 6L6 mod

output tranny is still the same. youll get more clean headroom and a different tone but the overall volume will only increase a little id guess. the 5u4 also pulls more from the power tranny so be careful

Comment

The fuse should protect my PT shouldn't it. I don't want to try this if I'm running the risk of blowing the PT those things cost as much as the rest of the amps combined.

Comment

should yes. if you know the model pt, look up the specs and see how much 5v current you have available

Comment

3 amps. Won't work, 6L6 / 5U4 circuit needs 6.3 amps.
          Thanks leading me in the right direction.
          Last edited by leevc5; 05-17-2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

ive use a 5v4 in my tweed deluxe without issue, it will raise the voltages some and give you less sag

Comment

Maybe I'll try a 5V4 it draws less 5V than the 5U4. Are you using a 6L6 with your 5V4?

Comment

not currently but i have in the past. the 6l6 is a different tone but its not much louder at all. going from the 5y3 to 5v4 made as much of a difference as the power tube swap

Comment

I found a cool little amp project. The xfmrs and such are only about $75, I have most of the tubes and I don't think the resistors and caps will cost more that $25. In the end you get an 18W+ dual 6L6 guitar amp:
                  http://www.lh-electric.net/projects/17gita.html
                  Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                  X