Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ Controls for each Channel Low Watt Amps I.E. Mini Rectifier vs. Shaman

Hello all,

I am looking for a versatile low watt amp for recording. I have a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 but I have two problems with it. One is the fact it has one set of controls that carry over the settings to each channel... kind of a big thing since usually how I like my lead channel isn't how I want my clean channel EQ'd, and second is the way it seems to pull back or lose it's presence and feel when I throw pedals at it.

So I've got a few amps I have been looking at and I am open to suggestion.

Mesa mini Rectifier vs Panama Shaman vs Joyo Mjolnir and MAYBE a mini Mark V 25 if I can justify the extra $$$.
    I play Metal, Rock, and even Jazz and ambient so having a solid tone and the ability to play well with pedals are a must. All of these also have EQ controls for 2 channels as well.

I am staying away from Solid State... I understand they can be competent amps but they just don't have that lively feeling. :P

Thank you for any advice!

Re: EQ Controls for each Channel Low Watt Amps I.E. Mini Rectifier vs. Shaman

Anyone have experience with any of these amps? I also see the Bugera TriRec Infinium is a full featured head with a Varipower Output Attenuator... I am thinking the Mesa Mini Rec 25 but I am digging the Panama Shaman from what I've heard...

Comment

I have the Mesa 5:25 mini stack, and yes it is worth the money. I also have the big Mark V, and there are times I like the 5:25 better. I thought about the Mini Recto and the Mini Recto Reverb, but this used 5:25 just fell into my lap. The Mark Vs certainly have enough gain on tap for metal, but the Mini Recto versions are just...well...RECTOS! Another to consider is the Express 5:25+, but if you want those fat, singing lead tones of the Mark II-C+ and the Mark IV, then get the Mark 5:25.

Normally in a studio, you don't need to switch an amp's channel in the middle of a track. You would re-adjust the amp, or switch to different amp, and punch in on a separate track.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Is this for recording? If so, I would go with a single channel amp. My two favourite valve amplifiers for recording are the Lil Dawg Champster, which is a 5W tweed Champ clone; it's a brilliant pedal platform but you will definitely need pedals to push the amp into high gain territory. My other one, and the one I use most frequently, is the Studio 2 from EAST Amplification. Not inexpensive, but it is a full featured head at about 2-4W using triode valves in a push-pull configuration. It is fully capable of everything from clean to scream, though I often used pedals along with the amp and leave it on the edge of breakup.

This song is the Studio 2 doing quite a number of breakup into high gain tones. Mic was a Sennheiser e609. Guitars used were a Fender Strat, Gibson SG, and Agile LP clone; it will be very obvious which guitar is which.

This song is all Fender Strat tracks, but using the Champster; the gain is coming from a combination of boost, overdrive, and fuzz pedals.

Sorry the songs are a little long.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hey Boogie Bill and TwilightOdyssey. First off I would like to thank you for your replies. TwilighOdyssey, I appreciate the tracks and really dug the classical interlude in the first track (Dark Village), listened to both tracks in their entirety and it's actually pretty cool stuff

On to the amp...
          This amp will be my new main amp which is mostly recording and practicing with smaller gigs here and there. I tend to switch between clean and lead channel several times in the songs I play so trying to tweak with things mid song isn't happening and I know people at live shows don't know any better as long as the clean doesn't sound like crap lol but I am a bit lazy to go tweak with things after I find the "sweet spot" anyway... unless jumping from one project to another.
          The East amps sound good and i totally understand where you're coming from on a good pedal palette but again I am preferring the 2 channel set up at this point for my needs. (I also can't seem to see where I could buy one anywhere lol just an expired reverb.com listing) Always nice to learn of these up and coming or less known brands too.

Boogie Bill, I've been narrowing things down to the Mini Rec and The Mini Mark V and you might be able to help me out here. I DON'T want a "one trick pony" which is what I'm afraid the Mini Rec might be since I mostly hear metal reviewers. Let me know, I want to be able to dial in tones from many genres and not JUST metal lol a solid metal chug, a nice crunch is a must and a sparkly clean is as must as it can be on an amp like this haha... and in my band I play lead so a solid soaring lead can't go without mention

Comment

I hope you can play the Mini-Rec side-by-side with the Mark V:25, that should answer most of your questions. I play more blues, classic rock, jazz and country and zero metal, so for me the choice was clearly the Mark. I've been using Marks since about 1994 and I have IIIs, a IV, and now all three versions of the Mark V.

Both amps have loops. GOOD loops.

Mark Vs all have reverb, and now they have a Mini Rec Reverb combo. The Mark V 5:25 is currently only available as a head, so if you want a combo you'll have to move up to the V 5:35. I JUST bought a used one that I found a great deal on. I'm blown away. Took me less than five minutes to dial in great tones.

One feature I love about the Mark amps I have is the Graphic EQ and the switching options for it.

Finally, the Mark Vs have the Mesa Cab-Clone built-in. I haven't used this yet, but it should be a big help for recording and gigs where you want to run your amp through the PA. Mesa is one of those companies that build their gear with features you don't think you need...until you've used it; and then you can't live without it.

Both amps sound good and could hang with all but the loudest drummer.

You might even find a deal on a used Mark IV. I still gig with mine, and I can vary the power from about 15 watts to about 85. And the Express series is pretty cool too. Another one I like is the now-discontinued TA-30, which has a bit of VOX flavor, but still has Mesa gain. A friend has one and he has killer tone.

Try out as many as you can, and let me know what you think.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
            X