What is your opinion on cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your opinion on cabs

I have one of those old Carvins too, it rules.

Comment

Originally posted by NjuiMusic View Post
      When I was referring to Mesa I was referring to the quality in build, a Mesa cab is built better then a Marshall cab, regardless.

The quality in build between the Marshall and Mesa are very different but once you go to a proper Marshall 4x12, anything more expensive then that like a Mesa 4x12 you won't notice much of a difference when it comes to the sound in terms of how well it is built but then cabs don't stop getting better once they sound good, they have to keep it together, which is one thing Mesa's do a lot better then Marshall cabs do.
      I agree that both cabs are top notch, however, I do want to mention a few things as I still believe most of this is from what you have read, and not seen. My main point here being the build METHODS are very different, but not the QUALITY.

'Better Quality Build' is very subjective here as both use different cabinet construction. Ever opened one up and stripped the tolex?

-Marshall is generally 3/4" Baltic Birtch Plywood. Depending on year, the back panel is either plywood or some lesser material.
      -Mesa up until somewhere in the 90's as Luan Plywood (I believe 3/4" as well but don't quote). Currently Baltic Birtch.

-Marshall uses glues Dovetail Joints
      -Mesa uses half-lap Rabbet joints that they reinforce with nails/ wire brads

-Marshall has grill cloth right on the baffle
      -Mesa has separate grille board

-Mesa does have more reinforcements in the baffle, and in some I've seen have a nice recess where the speaker sort of sits 'in' the baffle rather than 'on'

So does this mean one is better Quality? No, just different. I WILL say the one thing I do like about the Mesa's over the Marshall's is their baffle/ grille board design. Other than that, it's all preference.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Over the years at cab-share gigs I've noticed the difference between cheaper brand cabs and the more higher budget ones. Like at one show I played through a Randall or something and it sounded really crap. Marshall's are a common cab brand and with V30's I can hear the brightness a bit more. Orange cabs are pretty cool too, but I've never played my 6505+ through a Mesa cab yet which is supposed to be the perfect match. I will say Orange and Mesa's are heavy as **** to carry around, I have a Marshall 4 x 12 and thankfully its not as heavy!

Comment

I would dig 4 x 12s more if I wasn't the one carrying them. With good PA systems, it is becoming less of an issue, although it still looks like rock n roll.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X