Speaker upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker upgrade?

Hello all. I have a blackstar ht5rh 5 watt head running into a fender sc112 1x12 speaker cab. The cab is closed back. Problem is, I'm getting too much low end out of it that I can dial out. I'm thinking of swapping the stock speaker to something that might remedy my situation. Do you guys and gals have any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Re: Speaker upgrade?

Eminence Screaming Eagle.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

That sounds like a great option. Do you have alot of experience with it?

Comment

I had to pick between it and the Cannabis Rex for a single 12" cab I put together. I liked what I heard of the Eagle, but I wanted more low mids.
        I'm still G.A.S.ing for an Eagle.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by InbredJunk View Post
          Hello all. I have a blackstar ht5rh 5 watt head running into a fender sc112 1x12 speaker cab. The cab is closed back. Problem is, I'm getting too much low end out of it that I can dial out. I'm thinking of swapping the stock speaker to something that might remedy my situation. Do you guys and gals have any suggestions?

A 25W Greenback or something similar.... It will add a bit of British flavor and the HT5R loves Celestion's! I'm of the opinion that a Greenbacks or Creambacks in a close backed cabinets sound a lot like Vintage-30's in a 3/4 or 1/2 back cabinets? I think part of your problem is the size of the cabinet that you're currently using? They are fairly small & shallow...

This coupled with the fact that it is a closed back cab means it could easily create a sonic vacuum inside of the cabinet (especially under gain) wherein its restricted from pushing all the air it wants to. Simply porting it or modifying the back to a 3/4 may give you you're desired tone but if I remember correctly the backs of those cabs are glued not screwed & I'm not sure how crazy you'd be about punching or cutting holes in you're speaker cabinet without first knowing if it would work out???

Anyway, a low wattage speaker with a British backbone is, IMHO, the absolute best choice for that head!!!
          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I've always been a fan of open back cabs over closed back. Looks like I may need to look at different cabs rather than speakers.

Comment

Btw, I do run the amp more on the American side of the spectrum. And I play more heavy rock and metal than anything else.

Comment

Look into the Eminence Wizard; don't let the high power rating deceive you, it breaks up with smaller wattage amps and its high sensitivity means you will get a lot more SPL out your current amp. It has a great mid-focused sound, plenty of cut and a resonant peak that will not chuff at high SPLs. The bass is very tight, it has more of that midrange growl, steep cone, and small dust cap, so a brighter speaker with medium doping, LOTS of excursion and very loud, sensitive playback.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                X