banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DO O-RINGS WORK WELL AS TUBE DAMPENERS?.........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO O-RINGS WORK WELL AS TUBE DAMPENERS?.........................

I am reconsidering using a 6SL7 (using a tube adapter) as a power output tube in my Vox Lil' Night Train. Do O-rings really work as tube dampeners? I realize I will either have to punch a hole in the top of my amp cover, not use the cover or make a new cover. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: DO O-RINGS WORK WELL AS TUBE DAMPENERS?.........................

They'll work but not as well as tube dampener. If you do decide to use O-rings I'd use at least 2 or 3 of them, on the other hand dampeners are not all that expensive and there's some very nice and very large ones available through Stew Mac...
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Most o - rings don't take heat well the orange silicone ones do

Not really sure what tube dampner does
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I am thinking that the heat would get to them eventually. And that won't smell nice.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The little orange ones on ebay are rated for heat tolerance well above what a tube produces, so they won't be harmed. The main thing they do is add weight to the tubes so they don't rattle around as much.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Go to O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, NAPA, or any auto parts store and ask for high temp O-rings. They'll take the heat.

I would say that you could go to your local dirty book store and get those big fat silicone cock rings, but I imagine that they'd melt. Lol
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

You can also use a tube of silicon glue, and make a stripe around the tube.

Don't modify the cab. Just use it as an open chassis if it's a home practice amp.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
              X