Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp?

Hello!

Let's cut to the chase now. One guy is selling old 50-60') tube amp named Klemt Echolette B30. It's 30w. I have wondered how those old tube amps would sound used for metal music. I generally like their warmth and character. So what do you think: If I pair this amp with decent distortion pedal could I use it for metal and how you think it would sound? I am aiming for dirty, heavy and same time warm distortion (a bit like later Converges stuff and on other hand doom/stoner, I think their guitarist also uses vintage tube amps?). I mostly play in d or c tuning.

Thanks fot answers in advance!

Re: New amp?

Personally I think there's definitely better choices out there for you but I suppose you could use almost any amp for anything if you have to? Instead of trying to get classic break up to sound like a modern high gain amp with a pedal you'd be better off just buying a modern high gain amp? If you do decide to go vintage then try to find something with a fair amount of headroom. Lots of headroom equals a amp that will take pedals very well, which in turn equals a great high gain rig, at least with the right pedals pushing it...

I mean if the amplifier your considering throws out a VOX AC-ish type of breakup you're going to be hard pressed to get the tone you desire no matter what pedals you use. Then again, old Fenders can make great Metal amps with a good high gain stomp box in front of them. I play my 72 Bandmaster Reverb with a Metal Muff & a E.Q. in front & it sounds great, even dropped tuned...

The old Jensen drivers in my 68 2X12 cabinet don't like some of the frequencies that the pedals put out but through a couple of Vintage-30's it's pure magic!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Working...
    X