No announcement yet.

Pairing Swamp Thangs with WGS Retro 30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pairing Swamp Thangs with WGS Retro 30?

I'm planning to swap some speakers in my 412 and was leaning towards The WGS Retro 30, with Emi Swamp Thangs in an X pattern. The cab Currently has Swamp Thangs, and Texas Heats in an X Pattern, and is lacking a bit in mids, and a Bit darker than I'm wanting right now.

But I'm wondering whether the Swamp Thang's will over Power the Retro 30's since the Sensitivity of the Swamp Things is a bit higher than the Retro 30's? I could potentially do an X pattern of Texas Heats + Retro 30's instead, since they're closer in Sensitivity, but I haven't been able to find any info about how they mix together.
    I've seen some people saying that Swamp Thangs + Retro 30's (or V30 voiced speakers) makes a really good full Freq. match, sorta Filling in the gaps in each others eq's. But haven't seen anything saying whether the ST becomes dominant or over powers the R30's?

Any experience/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

They'll be getting used with a Ceriatone JCM800 2204 clone, with a variety of guitars. Generally keep the 2204 gain around noon, for a Nice Crunchy Marshall tone (think AC/DC level crunch), then get boosted at times with either a WH Swollen Pickle MkII (Vol. pushed a little bit, gain set lowish around 9:30 o'clock, mids maxed), or a TS-9 (or WH GRmkII, or boss OD-1). Playing everything from 60-70's rock/southern rock - 90's grunge/grungy pop-rock sorta stuff...basically everything other than Metal level gain.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Re: Pairing Swamp Thangs with WGS Retro 30?

I'd go with Emi Govs instead of the retro30,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      I'd go with Emi Govs instead of the retro30,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just my .02.
      Any reason why?

Comment

They probably will ... Swamp Thang is very sensitive!
        The combo I use is Swamp Thang and Wizard. The Wizard has the mid push and early breakup that the ST lacks.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          They probably will ... Swamp Thang is very sensitive!
          The combo I use is Swamp Thang and Wizard. The Wizard has the mid push and early breakup that the ST lacks.
          I have the same pairing in a 2X12 and chose it for the same reasoning....they compliment each other very well.

Comment

I've never played a retro30 but I do have a 2X12 with a swamp/wizard mix and another 2X12 with a swamp/ celestion v30 mix. For dirty tones I prefer the v30 mix best, it cuts with the mids in a band setting and is less harsh in the top end. For cleans with a fender rig I lean a little more to the wizard mix but I play a Mesa with lots of gain 90% of the time

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100 View Post
              Any reason why?
              I just prefer the fuller mids of the Gov,,,,,,,it's one of the only non-celestion that I've had good time with (other than the 1258 legends)

Really though if it were me I'd probably get a couple mesa v30 to mix with the thangs/

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions/advice guy. I ended up going with some vintage 30's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Swamp Thangs with Vintage 30's. Careful there, you could melt some eardrums and faces.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Swamp Thangs with Vintage 30's. Careful there, you could melt some eardrums and faces.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
                    I certainly hope so.

Comment

Sounds like a pretty solid combination, my only concern would be the brightness of the Retro-30's mixed up with the Swamp Thangs... Then again, I guess you never really know until you do it? I've put mixed pairs in 4X12's before, that in theory anyway, should have worked great together but sounded awful!!! On the other hand I've put two random speakers into a 2X12 just because they were both 8ohms & free, in the end the thing sounded flipping great!!!

I actually just finished re-wiring & re-filling a mixed matched 2X12 cabinet myself...

I loaded her up with what's IMHO the Holy Grail of speaker combinations, a Vintage-30 & U.K. made Creamback!!! It was originally wired for a 16ohm mono load & with a couple of Celestion Greenbacks. It sounded pretty great as it was but I wanted a little more thump from the low end since I primarily run my 6505MH through it.

I had to change the wiring around from series to parallel because the speakers I bought were both 16ohms but in all actuality this is probably for the best? I can run all my amplifier heads (except my old Fender Bandmaster) @ 8ohms so this is just much more practical for me....

Although given the choice I would prefer series wiring. As I said before the half back design and Greenbacks sounded alright but it left something to be desired in the low end department. Currently, the Creamback adds a nice bit of warmth to my signal & it really reaches out & kicks you in the gut, compliments of the Vintage-30!!!
                      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I just got a Vintage 30 (similar to your speaker choice) and a G12t-75 slapped into a cabinet with a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang.

It does fill in the whole sound spectrum. I cannot really tell the difference in volume or overpowering going on, they all seem about the same volume.... I may crank the **** out of it here in a minute and see if that volume shows a difference in individual output.

I imagine different pedals and amp head may bring out different nuances though.
                        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Working...
                        X