Cabinet failed today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet failed today

I've got a Marshall 1960a. With 4 different speakers onboard. Today before rehearsal i was playing and hearing a deep squishy low end.... i touched the amp low eq and silence!

I couldn't get any sound to come out at all.

Checked and double checked all inputs.

I pulled the cable from amp to cabinet and heard no pop... Nothing. I inserted into the other input (4ohm) and bang i got sound again.
    Nothing in the right side, (16ohm) but left input worked.
    I didn't have a chance to pull it open and look inside, any ideas what might have happened?

I'm suspecting a loose connection.
    Here's what i have, not my photo but same.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Cabinet failed today

What head were you using? I have that same cab.
    What are the 4 different speakers? What are their ratings?

Comment

I suspect the switch.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Switch the box to stereo and try each input individually. My bet is one side doesn't work. To get 4 Ohms it's probably putting the two sides together in paralell which is why your getting sound. Sounds like a speaker or both has gone out on one side.
        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

yup, move the switch and try both inputs. if its still dead on that side it might be the jack, if not, its the switch. you can buy replacements so its not the end of the world

Comment

Just a side note..does anyone use these in stereo? Are the speakers far enough apart to actually hear stereo when you are 8 feet in front of it?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

ive never used them in real stereo but i have used each side for a different head with my rotosphere and it sounds amazing

Comment

I've had those JCM900 stereo/mono switches fail. Pull the PCB off and replace with one or two jacks wired together and forget about the s/m switching.....if you don't need it!
                Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
                  I've had those JCM900 stereo/mono switches fail. Pull the PCB off and replace with one or two jacks wired together and forget about the s/m switching.....if you don't need it!
                  This. That switch failed a number of times during studio recordings on different Marshall cabs. We hardwired the MoFo in two minutes - problem solved.
                  Wackor
                  Ørdøg
                  NecroPolo
                  Diabolus in Musica
                  SIDrip Alliance
                  Book of Shadows
                  RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Just a side note..does anyone use these in stereo? Are the speakers far enough apart to actually hear stereo when you are 8 feet in front of it?
                    I used to split my Peavey 412MS stereo for 8ohms each side when I used my old Fender Dual Showman. That head was expecting 4ohms and the two outputs were parallel.

That's about as close as I got. LOL
                    Nope...

Comment

I pligged it into the other jack and switched it back and forth, it worked both, and i could hear the stereo really change the sound that instant.

the original side hasn't worked since. But I havent messed with it since.
                      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        If I had one I'd run my power amp 50 watts per side and drive it more versus 100 watts bridged

Comment

Working...
                        X