ANOTHER speaker ohm/amp volume question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER speaker ohm/amp volume question

I have an 8-ohm Eminence Tonker in my 2x12 caninet, with the other hole blocked off. It sounds really good for just one speaker.
    However, I am now thinking of adding a Swamp Thang in the other hole. My 1978 Randall RG100ES had two 8-ohm output jacks, and my cabinet has two input jacks, one of which is currently disconnected.
    My question is, will running my ss head into two 8-ohm speakers cause a big jump in volume? It is already a loud amp - I have never played it on a stage above 4 or 5, and I certainly don't want it louder.
    My basic problem is I don't get whether two speakers running seperately will change what the head does?

I know this is a lot like several other threads but a couple variables are just different enough that I am not sure how they apply to my specific setup.

Re: ANOTHER speaker ohm/amp volume question

The difference between 1 and 2 speakers of the same type is roughly 3db. The bigger issue with a solid state head is getting the load figured out correctly. If the amp is able to handle a 4-ohm load, both speakers in parallel will give you maximum output power and should be much louder than series (16 ohms).
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I guess I left out that detail: the amp has two 8-ohm output jacks on the back. So I would be running one of those to the 8-ohm Tonker, like I already am, and I would use a separate speaker cord out from the other jack to the 8-ohm Swamp Thang.
      I am not worried about harming the head, it was made to handle two 8-ohm 4x12 cabinets. I just don't know if two different cords running to two different speakers from two different jacks is "series" or "parallel"?
      I assume it woyld be parallel?
      So would dropping the amp's load from 8 ohms to 4 ohms give me a big volume jump? I do NOT want that!

If I connect the two speakers in series would I be likely to blow the speakers? Each is rated up to about 150 watts and the amp puts out a max of 120.

If that gave me a volume drop and would not destroy the speakers then I would be a happy man.

Comment

Here's the owner's manual ...

Here's the schematic ...

If you want to lower the output power a bit, wire the two 8 Ohm speakers in series for a total of 16 Ohms, and connect them with one cable to one of the head's output sockets. Doing this will not harm anything, provided the two 8 Ohm speakers are in series ... parallel is a different story.
        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Yep, for your stated objective, wire the two 8 ohm speakers in series for a total load of 16 ohms. SS amps can handle greater impedance with no ill effects, other than a drop in output power translating to a drop in volume (but probably not as significant as you might imagine).

Comment

Thank you both for the clarification. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
            X