heavy blues/sludge metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heavy blues/sludge metal

looking for a good 1x12 combo for Sludge metal/ bluesy psychedelic stoner metal (the Devil and The Almighty Blues, Whalerider, etc..). I realize that the tones Im looking for and tone in general tubes are great but I want to stay solid state if possible. Guitar is an SG with Custom Custom bridge and P-rails Neck pushing through a tube screamer and a fuzz. I like to get a lot of my gain stage from in front of the amp if that helps. $300-500 range preferably nothing too crazy.

Re: heavy blues/sludge metal

I really doubt that you will find a solid state or even a 1x12 combo that will give you that sound. Sludge and stoner are generally 100W tube amps cranked on a clean channel with a fuzz. However, I guess you could look for some old fender (not a Hot Rod deluxe), laney or marshall tube 1x12 combos and use a fuzz in front of it.

Comment

Jet City.
      Last edited by Empty Pockets; 11-30-2016, 12:41 PM.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Fender's Mustang III is one of the best solid state amplifiers you will find at the low end of your price range and also capable of doing what you want very well. If you do consider this amplifier make sure you are getting the V.2 version.

Comment

Look into older Randall RG combos
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

no 112 sludge metalz

get at least a closed back 212

Comment

This is a tough one. The parameters that you've set for us go against every "rule" of stoner/ sludge metal tones.

Honestly, I'd say if you're going to go for something solid state, check out a Fender Champion. If you're willing to save up, check out a Fender Bassbreaker. It's got a great modern flavor gain that's nice and open for sludge and stoner stuff.
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I'm no expert by any means, however...I like to play the same genre. I would buy an Orange! GC usually has a few of them so go and try them out. Crush series isn't bad at all and it's SS as you wanted. I would highly suggest finding a dark terror used and get a good 2x12, using this set up with a mxr EQ is all I need for endless riffing! I found my dark terror and a genzbenz g-flex and I have $500 in that set. Plus I think you'll be hard pressed to find a more versatile little amp, that can cover a lot of ground with your tastes.
                Now for something totally cheap!!!...Go find a fender 15g practice amp ($25-$45). I took 1 and cut it up to make a little "head" and it worked great! I've run a small 12" cab, 2x12, and even a 4x12 and they all worked!
                I don't know about the micro dark terror but might look into that as well. Hope this helps.
                Guitars:
                2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
                Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
                Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

Micro Dark Terror. Pretty much perfect for what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm selling a mint condition Vox AD60VTH head. Put it on a 212 cab and you'll have all the exact tones you're looking for at bedroom to stage levels. It's got every pedal built in, including fuzz, plus a variable wattage control on the back. It's one of the very best modeling amps ever designed.

A money order for $350 will put it in your hands. US Fedex.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Orange can easily do this, no pedals req'd!!
                      Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                      Marshall JVM410H
                      Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                      Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                      ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                      Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                      Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                      Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                      Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Randall or orange cr 120

Comment

OP posted this 3 months ago

and has posted a total of 5 posts on this forum lol

is he still here?

Comment

No joke, check out one of the old Laney AOR protube 30 1x12 combos. They're tube but right in your price range used. Closed back, reverb onboard, 2 inputs and eqs that offer boosts with push pull knobs. Ticks all of your boxes except solid state.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	1992_AOR3012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	5797779

Comment

My AMT Stonehead (50 watt SS head) which I bought for about $550 (mint/shipped from Russia) can do some nice stoner type sounds on the "lead 1" channel. There's a knob for that channel that darkens/brightens the voicing of the amp (quite drastically) & a resonance knob that loosens/fattens/opens it up as much as you like.

You get the added benefit of it being super versatile ( 4 channels) for just about anything else too..razor sharp/tight stuff/recto tones..pretty much any heavy tone you want & the crunch & clean channels both sound fantastic too..
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X