Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Spider V vs Boss Katana

Anything you think about either!

These two are on my list of possible new amps to upgrade from my Spider IV 30w.

Go!
    sigpic
    Originally posted by GuitarStv
    "CUBBIES YOUVE DONE ITN"

reads 'Cubes you've done it in'

I thought this was going to be an awesome thread about hot cubicle sex.
    Schecter S-1 Diamond Series (Stock)
    Frankenstrat (Single Pickup Invader, single tone knob, tremolo)
    Ernie Ball Regular 10's
    Line 6 Spider IV 30w
    Roland Microcube

Re: Line 6 Spider V vs Boss Katana

Perhaps consider a Fender Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by bloomfieldriffs View Post
      Perhaps consider a Fender Mustang.
      Interesting
      sigpic
      "CUBBIES YOUVE DONE ITN"

Ernie Ball Regular 10's
      Line 6 Spider IV 30w
      Roland Microcube

Comment

Id look for a nice used tube before anything

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chevyaddict83 View Post
          Id look for a nice used tube before anything

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Eh, tubes moobs
          sigpic
          "CUBBIES YOUVE DONE ITN"

Ernie Ball Regular 10's
          Line 6 Spider IV 30w
          Roland Microcube

Comment

my friend bought a katana 100. he seems to like it.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              my friend bought a katana 100. he seems to like it.
              Good to know, thanks!
              sigpic
              "CUBBIES YOUVE DONE ITN"

Ernie Ball Regular 10's
              Line 6 Spider IV 30w
              Roland Microcube

Comment

Originally posted by Fonzie View Post
                Interesting
                I own a Mustang. The crunch on the Katana sounds better IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken Bowling View Post
                  I own a Mustang. The crunch on the Katana sounds better IMHO.
                  In what way?
                  sigpic
                  "CUBBIES YOUVE DONE ITN"

Ernie Ball Regular 10's
                  Line 6 Spider IV 30w
                  Roland Microcube

Comment

I was reading your signature, I don't see why you should even feel shamed, every tool out there has a purpose and if the Spider works for you, rock on my brother.
                    With that being said the if you love your Spider but feel it needs an upgrade in this or that, look at the new ones. They have made some pretty good improvements.
                    I'd stay away from the models with less then a 12 inch speaker as I felt the smaller drivers sounded thin , cheap and not worthy of guitar pure tone. Yeah you could always replace the speaker but why on a brand new amp? I believe the range gets good at the 120 or 240. This way you can practice at home or gig with it. It's more useful. The 120 I would go with if your only gonna practice with it. But if your gonna play in a band, it will do fine. The 240 would be a better choice all around in my strong opinion. I'm not one for a single 12, I like the sound of the fuller 2 x 12 setup. That goes for all amps for me. I'm totally not into single 12 amps even at the highest quality. The 2 x 12 well at least to me always sounds fuller fatter and more punchy yet more beautiful on amps with excellent clean channels.

The Boss amp is interesting and I would have to plug into one to see if that would be a good choice. I watched some reviews and I think it's worthy of a test run. I would absolutely play one before I purchased the 240 From Line 6. I think Boss makes better sounding effects over Line 6 so personally I might lean towards the Kantana due to the effects section. Not to metion I would go Katana 100/212 as again I'm a firm believer of 2 x 12 over a single 12. But thats just me man.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                      I was reading your signature, I don't see why you should even feel shamed, every tool out there has a purpose and if the Spider works for you, rock on my brother.
                      With that being said the if you love your Spider but feel it needs an upgrade in this or that, look at the new ones. They have made some pretty good improvements.
                      I'd stay away from the models with less then a 12 inch speaker as I felt the smaller drivers sounded thin , cheap and not worthy of guitar pure tone. Yeah you could always replace the speaker but why on a brand new amp? I believe the range gets good at the 120 or 240. This way you can practice at home or gig with it. It's more useful. The 120 I would go with if your only gonna practice with it. But if your gonna play in a band, it will do fine. The 240 would be a better choice all around in my strong opinion. I'm not one for a single 12, I like the sound of the fuller 2 x 12 setup. That goes for all amps for me. I'm totally not into single 12 amps even at the highest quality. The 2 x 12 well at least to me always sounds fuller fatter and more punchy yet more beautiful on amps with excellent clean channels.

The Boss amp is interesting and I would have to plug into one to see if that would be a good choice. I watched some reviews and I think it's worthy of a test run. I would absolutely play one before I purchased the 240 From Line 6. I think Boss makes better sounding effects over Line 6 so personally I might lean towards the Kantana due to the effects section. Not to metion I would go Katana 100/212 as again I'm a firm believer of 2 x 12 over a single 12. But thats just me man.
                      Thanks so much for your friendly comment!
                      I love my Spider, I find it really interesting how people get these ideas in their heads- my Spider IV is not bad at all, it's a great sounding amp. I know people are entitled to their opinions, but if one thinks that a Spider IV sucks, then they haven't even come close to experiencing suckage.
                      Yeah I've been looking a lot at the Spider V, would probably get the 1x12 (don't have much money)

I've been looking at peavey bandits to use as a pedal platform as well.

Rock on dude!
                      sigpic
                      "CUBBIES YOUVE DONE ITN"

Ernie Ball Regular 10's
                      Line 6 Spider IV 30w
                      Roland Microcube

Comment

Have you looked at the Yamaha THRs?

Those little suckers sound purtdamGood

Comment

Originally posted by thunderkyss View Post
                          Have you looked at the Yamaha THRs?

Those little suckers sound purtdamGood
                          Ill check em out dude!
                          sigpic
                          "CUBBIES YOUVE DONE ITN"

Ernie Ball Regular 10's
                          Line 6 Spider IV 30w
                          Roland Microcube

Comment

I got to **** around with one of the new Spiders recently at a shop and it sounded pretty damn nice once I got away from the presets and started building a patch on my iPhone (something I wish had been implemented in the Helix). It seems like Line 6 took all the best ideas of the Amplifi and the Firehawk and put them into an affordable amp. I haven't tried the Katana but I've heard good things. I would say that the best thing to do would be to just see if a shop near you has either of them in stock and try them out. Although, if you were able to get nice tones out of a Spider IV, I don't see why you wouldn't want to go with a company that you know and love.
                            Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 11-08-2016, 12:15 AM.
                            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                            Line 6 Helix
                            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                              I got to **** around with one of the new Spiders recently at a shop and it sounded pretty damn nice once I got away from the presets and started building a patch on my iPhone
                              That's just it. Every piece of gear I've ever owned or used with factory presets sucked ginormous donkey balls yet yielded great results working it out for myself most likely because whatever was going into it and it was going into was completely different to what I use when they made the presets.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X