Electro-Harmonix Mig-50 Tube Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electro-Harmonix Mig-50 Tube Amp

Has anyone tried these yet? I guess they are essentially Sovtek Mig-60's without plastic jacks and all the other cheap russian components, or so it says? My 2 week old Bogner Alchemist started squealing at me today so I'm done buying used tube amplifiers from Reverb & ebay!

I just can't seem to get one without pre-existing issues so now I'm looking for something I can pick up new or at least with a warranty for $700 or under. The Sovtek Mog-60's sounded great IMHO but their build quality always made me a bit weary....

I'm open to other suggestions as well, something in a 6V6 would be ideal but I'm open to anything that has some balls and would make a reasonably good pedal platform....
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: Electro-Harmonix Mig-50 Tube Amp

Have you checked the tubes in the Alchemist? Squealing is probably a microphonic tube which can easily happen as a result of shipping damage.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      Have you checked the tubes in the Alchemist? Squealing is probably a microphonic tube which can easily happen as a result of shipping damage.
      The amp was never shipped, I drove down to Boston and picked it up. But to answer your question yes, all 5 preamp tubes & both 6L6's have been replaced. Luckily I'm still able to get a full refund!!!
      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
        Has anyone tried these yet? I guess they are essentially Sovtek Mig-60's without plastic jacks and all the other cheap russian components, or so it says? My 2 week old Bogner Alchemist started squealing at me today so I'm done buying used tube amplifiers from Reverb & ebay!

I just can't seem to get one without pre-existing issues so now I'm looking for something I can pick up new or at least with a warranty for $700 or under. The Sovtek Mog-60's sounded great IMHO but their build quality always made me a bit weary....

I'm open to other suggestions as well, something in a 6V6 would be ideal but I'm open to anything that has some balls and would make a reasonably good pedal platform....
        I have tried a few of their pedals and found them disappointing. I wouldn't go for one of their cludged together amps. Stick with Marshall or Fender if you want world class sound and reliability. Just my take don't want to demean any of The other fine amplifier offerings.

Comment

Hmm didn't know they made these

My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Looks very much like this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...60H-/555-28025

Or. http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...d-2204-Hw.html

Comment

didn't know they made a version of that either - krank got his start by modding old sovtek amps. wonder if those could be hot rodded as well. I guess at that point you'd just get a mini 5150 or something.

Comment

there are two mig 50 amps i think. one with a mv which is kinda jcm800 and the nmv which is plexi/bassman. i think the nmv sounds better but it stays clean till it gets kinda loud

Comment

Dude's playing in that video isn't helping them sell any amplifiers, LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    there are two mig 50 amps i think. one with a mv which is kinda jcm800 and the nmv which is plexi/bassman. i think the nmv sounds better but it stays clean till it gets kinda loud
                    Yeah, I've heard the same thing. I've never seen the JCM-ish ones for sale for some reason but if I were to get one I'd definitely prefer one of the NMV's Bassman clone deals anyway. I tend to gravitate towards higher headroom tube amplifiers & either get or flavor my dirt with pedals...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      Those old ones were awesome amps, as long as you didn't get a bad one. The bad ones should have all burned up by now, you should be safe on them.

Comment

yep. i think tony bruno had a hand in designing them. i remember a guy running one damn near full tilt in the mid 90's at a show and it sounded great! very tweed/plexi

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMexiko View Post
                          I have tried a few of their pedals and found them disappointing. I wouldn't go for one of their cludged together amps. Stick with Marshall or Fender if you want world class sound and reliability. Just my take don't want to demean any of The other fine amplifier offerings.
                          EHX has been improving a lot of their pedals in recent years. Of course like any other firm that was making pedals in the 1970s their vintage stuff was far from what we expect these days in terms of basics, like true-bypass switching. But still, a few of their effects are well loved sounds that defined eras and genres. Think about Ernie Isley's sound on several of the Isley Brothers hits (Whose that Lady, Summer Breeze)...

Back in that era it was really MXR vs. EHX, Roland didn't start in with the all-conquering Boss series until a bit later. The EHX didn't seem as well made, were super-sized with weird garish graphics. I was an MXR guy, but lots of guys swore by the Big Muff, and their various time-based effects which they were the leaders in.

EHX is still building effects in New York City of all places (that alone is pretty amazing) and they have done a nice job of offering both modern, updated versions of their signature effects and true-to-form re-issues (except in they never stopped making them). For instance I bought the new Small Stone phase shifter and it's simple and sounds great. I have several T.C. Electronics effects and the Small Stone delivers just as useful sound as the T.C.s, with a lot less complexity. No, you can't download stuff to it.

Small Stone:

So, if you haven't tried any of their effects in 20, 30 or 40 years maybe you should give them a try.

Old Electric Mistress (flanger):

NEW Electric Mistress:

I do love Fender and Marshall amps, though, and you can't go wrong with a good one of either brand.
                          Last edited by dr0; 11-24-2018, 03:23 PM.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

I had the original black Sovtek MIG-50 and Gray and Black MIG-60

MIG-50 was a better amp overall -especially if you wanted smooth bluesy crunch

MIG-60 was higher gain and crunchier.

Not sure how the modern ones match up
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The looks of the mig60 always made me want one,,,,,,,never even played one though.

Comment

Working...
                              X