Thinking of simplifying my rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of simplifying my rig

Trying to simplify my rig a little. Our church runs a "quiet" stage as far as no amps, and I've adapted my rig to that by running my amp into a Two Notes Torpedo Live loadbox / speaker emulator. It sounds good, but it's getting to quite a bit to load in and out. I have a couple of spots in my rack that I can open up and load in a preamp like below. I like the idea of three foot switchable base sounds and the potential for built in cab emulation.

My questions are:

Has anyone tried it with a power amp / speaker emulator like the Torpedo Live?

Does it work well with pedals?

I've seen posts where it hasn't rated well as a direct unit, but better a a live unit.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Thinking of simplifying my rig

You may consider a complete direct solution, and skip an amp altogether. Something like any of the Tech21 FlyRigs or amp pedals, or a Fractal AX8. Great tone all the time.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

+1.

Why compromise an amp in a situation where it will never be appreciated? Silent stages are for volunteer FOH engineers who don't know how to mix, bands that can't set up a stage properly and play with others, and venues that don't appreciate music enough to set up the room for sound.

I used a Tech21 SansAmp PSA-1 for almost 10 years for this application. The trick is, A/B it next to your real amp and dial it in and save that preset. Use that as a base and don't change it, but make copies of it because you will need to make tweaked versions of that patch for boomy echoey rooms and heavy fabric upholstered rooms. Also bring your own personal monitor system for your guitar. Silent stage means you are at the mercy of the sound person, which usually means you are jacked, unless they've got an Aviom system or equivalent.

Comment

Thanks guys. I haven't had much luck with modeling in the past (hence the idea of the Mesa preamp with at least a handful of tubes), but it may be time to reconsider the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I own torpedo live and kemper and friedman amp, i can tell you that you will always get better sound if you go with real tube power amp into torpedo. For example, i modeled my friedman runt 20w all tube head on kemper, it really sounds the same to my ears with using the same cabinet, however, if i go direct out to torpedo direct in, it doesnt sounds that good like the real tube head to load of torpedo.

I suggest you getting an head that you like use that with pedals you already have and just use the torpedo to create the cabinet emulation and directly out in front of the house.

It really depend on what you tweak in there, there is endless options what to do. I always found out that real tube head into torpedo sounds always much better than any simulation of preamp into torpedo. Even though you have real tube preamp, the power section of a tube amp for me is actually the secret to get the really nice tube tone, finding the sweet spot on the power amp is all the magic, once you figure out the combination of the gain and presence, no matter what you do on the preamp, it will sound good.

Comment

Working...
          X