• Show
Clear All

• So I Got This.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	5842930

LOL, this thing is a flipping monster & I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it!!! I'm not sure what the hell compelled to take it in the first place since I haven't been in a position where I've needed a vocal amp since, well ever???

That said, it does make a pretty awesome Guitar or Bass amp and it's got a cool tube layout so if I don't find someone to sell it to eventually perhaps I'll see about having it modded into something more useful for my needs? It works perfectly and I just stuck a Bogner La Grange in front of it with the thought process that the La Grange is sorta a Marshall preamp in a box? LOL, to be honest it sounded more like a cranked Marshall than some cranked Marshals I've played!!!

I got it for next to nothing from this crusty old guy in town. He's one of them cheap beer & scratch ticket junkies, plus his wife has been nagging him to get rid of some of the garbage he's got kicking around the house recently. I made an off the wall comment about how it was about the only thing he had that I was even remotely interested in & before I knew it I was carrying the thing out.

He originally wanted around $500 for it & that's about what they are trending for on reverb right now. Unfortunately as I said I didn't really want it but I was being pressured by his wife and him to get it the heck out of the house so I offered him what was in my wallet at the time, $72!!! Oh well, I guess he's got some scratchers & cigarettes now, & I've got yet another piece of gear that I have no room for!!!

LOL, it's a good thing my baby sister didn't major in Art History like I did!!! My poor parents, they were so proud when I went to college... Unfortunately much to my dismay, none of the big art history companies were hiring when I graduated for some reason??? Basically while I was running around eating Ecstasy like Skittles, sleeping with hairy hippie chicks, & talking about how deeply moving some piece of canvas that Andy Warhol peed on was after drinking Mexican beer, she actually studied, got a good job and now has a great big house with great a big basement and lots of storage space for her big brother!!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: So I Got This.....

So what is the tube layout? I'm turning into a tube junkie...gotta know ya know.

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	5797534

As best as I can tell it's got 2 5881's in the power section, a 6V6 working as a rectifier which is kinda weird, & a plethora of 12AX7's! I assume by the way they are positioned there's one 12AX7 for each input, & one pushing the Reverb tank but I really don't know a whole lot about it yet so all of that could be completely wrong?

Like I said I bought it on a whim and I'll most likely never use it? It's definitely cool but it's also fairly big & I don't even have any actual P.A. speakers. I had to borrow a couple from my buddy just so I could play around with it for a while this afternoon.

It would be wicked expensive to ship but because I got it so cheaply I'm seriously considering just trying to sell it. Even if the shipping and insurance was over $100 I'd think I could at least make my money back on it? It would make a great guitar amp for someone who likes to tinker & mod old Fender Tube amps or just leave it as is & have a awesome vintage sounding P.A.! The Spring Reverb is absolutely beautiful and there's definitely no lack of power!!!
      Last edited by Nostalgic Distortion; 01-11-2017, 07:04 PM.
      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Very cool:

Name:	1ps160.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	5797535
        In the mid 1950s Tung-Sol from Newark, New Jersey unveiled the 6550 power audio tube. This was ground breaking because one pair 6550 power tubes could produce the same power as four EL34 or 6L6 tubes. It didn't take long for tube amp designers to notice and quickly hifi tube audio amps from Heath, Dynaco, McIntosh, Fisher, Scott, and others could be found in living rooms all over America. A decade or so later, bass guitar tube amp icon Ampeg was using 6550 power tubes in their legendary SVT bass amps. Even Marshall got into the act, using 6550 output tubes in some of their JCM800 and JMP tube amps.

I wondered how the heck they got 160W with 2 pwr tubes.
        Last edited by RogerMexiko; 01-11-2017, 07:34 PM.

Comment

That is so cool I am tempted to drive up and take it off your hands.

Comment

Man! That is so cool. Just the meter with the Fender logo was worth the price of admission.

^ Heh. You beat me by a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
              . . . this crusty old guy in town.
              Hey ! I resemble that remark ....
              Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Hey! It's not in the Trading Post.

Comment

Cascade the input stages a la Randall Smith.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    Cascade the input stages a la Randall Smith.
                    I was actually just reading something about that, it's definitely pretty interesting!!!

Comment

Cool!
                      "Scalloped & Stickered"
                      A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Working...
                      X