banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the better Jack of all trades classic rock speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the better Jack of all trades classic rock speaker?

Eminence GB128 or Mojo BV-12H (G12H 30 clone)

Running off a Peavey C20MH into a 1x12 open back (but is convertible to a closed cab)

Im currently using a G12M. Like it but looking for something a bit tighter and more sensitive.

Open to other ideas too..
    Last edited by AniML; 01-12-2017, 06:02 PM.

Re: Which is the better Jack of all trades classic rock speaker?

havent spent much time with the gb128 but the bv12h is a fine speaker. used to run one in my celtic tweed deluxe for years and it sounded magnificent

Comment

I'd say the Legend 1258 Eminence. Just about to grab one myself since Weber botched the recone of both my old Jensen C12's - Caveat Emptor. If you are looking for more of a Brtish tone, then probably not.;

The Eminence Legend 1258 was created to replicate the sound of the famous Jensen Alnico guitar speakers and Oxford and Utah 12’s used in many vintage guitar cabinets of the 50’s and 60’s. In many cases the Legend 1258 will work as a drop in replacement for the following guitar cabinets: Ampeg Gemini I 12” 1964-1971, Ampeg Jet 1957-1963, Ampeg Super Echo Twin 1963-1964 EM1201, Fender 65 Twin Reissue 1991, Fender Bandmaster Black, Silver 1963-1974 and Blonde 1960-1963, Fender Bassman Black 1963-1967, Bassman Browne and Blonde 1961-1962 Oxford (12M5-6), and Bassman Silvere 1967-1968 (12” Oxford and 12” Utah). Fender Blues Deluxe, Fender Blues DeVille, and Blues Junior all used an Eminence special design driver very similar to the Legend 125. As well as the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and Hot Rod Deville (12 inch version of course). Fender Pro Black Reverb 1968-1967, Fender Pro Silver Reverb 1968-1981 (Utah 12”), Fender Quad Reverb Silver 1972-1979 (Oxford 12T6 and Utah). Fender Super 112 1990-1993 and Fender Super 60 1988-1993. Drop in replacement for the Oxford 12T6 used in the famous Fender Twin Reverb Black 1963-1967 and the Twin Reverb Silver 1967-1981. Fender Twin Tweed 1952-1963, and the Fender Woody Junior. Also a great replacement for the Celestion 12” used in 1962 Marshall Bass/Lead cabinet.

OR the 1218 for higher power handling;

The Eminence Legend 1218 12" Guitar Speaker delivers warm, smooth and fat American tone with a hint of smooth British break-up. Its coloration favors country, blues and jazz.

Eminence recommends the Legend 1218 as a direct replacement in the Fender Twin combo Amp.
      FEATURES

Warm, smooth, and fat
      Perfect for country, blues, and jazz
      Voice Coil Diameter: 2", 50.8mm
      Magnet Weight: 38 oz.
      Power Rating.: 150W
      Sensitivity: 98.8

Go forthe previous reccomended GB128 for true British tonality.There are lots of sepakers in the line Eminence line for British and Classic American tone though.For American, I am actually probably going to run a Texas heat and a Screaming Eagle.
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-12-2017, 09:14 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I would say (they are both fine speakers) the GB12.
        It will handle 2x the power of your current Celestion, and be more sensitive where SPL/dB is concerned.
        good luck
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

how did weber botch the recone? ive had two recones done since ted died and both turned out fine.

the bv is pretty much a straight g12h-30 copy, they started making those when celestion went over seas. eminence makes a lot of great speakers too. is there a reason you picked those two speakers to choose from?

closing the back would tighten things up but wont really give you more volume.

Comment

I can't say for the Eminence, but I can describe my mojotone h30.

It's essentially the same speaker as the WGS Reaper (standard). Its clearer and less complex/thick in the midrange compared to any of the H30 lead types produce by Celestion today I.e. 70th anni, creamback 75 and heritage h30 75hz. It is much less harsh than the 70th anniversary when pushed...smoother( as is the heritage and creamback). It's really WGS' vague interpretation of a H30 (same as all their other speakers). It doesn't sound like old H30s either. Again, doesn't have the in your face thickness of midrange or cone breakup like a Celestion. But it does sound nice pushed with my Marshall DSL. Way too much treble content with my Orange OR15.

It's the H30's pacifist twin brother
            Last edited by JeffB; 01-13-2017, 08:13 AM.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              ...is there a reason you picked those two speakers to choose from?

closing the back would tighten things up but wont really give you more volume.
              I'm currently using a G12M from a Night Train cab, so supposedly it is modified/voiced for Vox. No idea what is different from one that is not OEMd for Vox. I like it but want a little more definition and volume while still keeping the British flavor.. This brought me into the G12H-ish offerings. I happened to find the Mojo BV available used at a good price and the GB128 also seemed to be a good fit. The only downside to the Emi is it is 8 ohms, but only in case I ever decide to chain a couple 1x12s, so not a dealbreaker.

I do wonder if the Emi will be that much different than the G12M I have now. The Mojo, I can't find much info, so I'm just trying to make up my mind

The cab I have (Jet City 12S+) is convertible from closed to partially open, but also has a "THD port" (also known as a narrow slat of wood that leaves the cabinet open, but with a smaller opening )

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                how did weber botch the recone? ive had two recones done since ted died and both turned out fine.
                Well, the C12n's are supposed to be very stout speakers at 40 watts each. I installed into a Supro 2x12 cabinet both Weber fresh recones I just had done by Weber and playing through the 35 watt Supro head, both speakers are buzzing horribly at moderate volume when I hit the wound strings, it looks like the cone is separated from the voice coil on each speaker- not sure. Afraid to waste anymore time or money on these speakers, and am fairly certain Weber will just say I ran to much low frequency into them, or offer to recone again for more money, so right now I will probably sell the old Jensen C12's as-is and just put in some fresh Eminence Legend 1258's and call it a day.
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

did you call and talk to them? if they did a **** job then they should re-do it for free

Comment

I was gonna say G12H30, so of the two, the clone you're looking at.
                    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                      I was gonna say G12H30, so of the two, the clone you're looking at.
                      I'll chime in, in agreement. I really like the G12H30 ... and all I have is an Anniversary.

Comment

Working...
                      X