banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New speakers for Plexi clone... I'm lost !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New speakers for Plexi clone... I'm lost !!

Originally posted by JulianLM View Post
    I'd like something really organic, sweet, really vintage/old school (Think Black Keys for exemple...), with more lows as possible.
    Eminence Private Jacks.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

OR...may I humbly suggest an Eminence Tonker and a TonkerLite? Listed in the trading post right now. Thunderous lows, handle 150 & 120 watts EACH. (Yes, I'm the one selling them. If this sort of shameless plug is a no-no then please delete.)

Comment

Since the Private Jack was brought up, here are a couple of demos which include both the Greenback and Private Jack.

Details:G12M Greenback (25W)Cannabis Rex (50W)G12H30 70th Anniversary (30W)Electro Voice Force 12 (150W)Private Jack (50W)Legend V128 (120W)Red White & Blues...

A comparison of 18 guitar speakers, using the same riff and under the same conditions.Note that the soundfiles are NOT "normalized" (adjusted to the same max...

Eminence also has the Legend GB128 which is another GB-ish speaker. It's 50 watts and 60 bucks.

Comment

I've had Celestion, Eminence, and WGS speakers in my 2x12 cabinet in the last year and they all sound different but the WGS speakers sound as good to me as the others. However, I agree that they do not sound identical to the Celestion speakers they identify with. (ALTHOUGH my Celestions were from 1978; I don't know if the new China-built ones sound the same as the old ones either.)

As far as I can tell they are all quality speakers. I only swapped out the Celestions because they finally wore out, and I only swapped out the Eminence Tonkers because I decided to go for a snottier rock and roll tone. As long as these WGS speakers (et65 and Veteran 30) last a long time I will be happy. If they don't, I'll replace them with the equivalent model Eminence speakers.

Comment

I'm not against Celestion, I was thinking that maybe it would be more "original" to choose another brand !

I'm gonna check the Eminence, but to mess the game a little bit more, what about Plexi + Jensen ?? C12R sounds quite interesting but I'm afraid it's too bright...

Comment

im not a big fan of the modern italian jensens although i do have a p10q that i like. a c12r is going to be bright. i get weber speakers when i want something like an old jensen. they arent the same but have a better voice than the modern jensens to my ears

Comment

If you're not against trying Celestion may I suggest 2 50 watt Lynchback speakers? They are voiced like a mixture of a green back and a Fane tonality, supposedly. Together they will take 100 watts and if you are not cranking it out on 10 you may be okay with that. I have a set of Tonkers and they are very clean sounding speakers...someone in the speaker business told me that they are based on Fanes as well. Two of the Tonkers would suck up what you head can deliver and ask for more. LOL.
                2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Sadly Lynchback are a bit too expansive for me...

But as time passing by, I'd really like to try some American speakers with a Marshall head ! Not sure pure british sound is what I expect.

This is an uncommon combination as far as I know, do you know why ?

But in my mind I see American speakers on the bright side... Are they all bright ? Or is there some darker ones ? I heard vintage Jensens on a Plexi, sounds great ! But that was vintage ones... There's some affordable ones like these on Ebay, but I'm not really comfy, if one is almost dying or whatever, I'm screwed :http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pair...MAAOSwB09YHjQZ

Any thoughts ?

I really want to thank you all for your messages, I know it's not the easiest thing on earth to help a guy who doesn't really know where he's going...

I have a week to wait until payday and order something.

Comment

I don't know about the speakers in your link but there were variations of many different speakers that were made for organs that aren't tonally the same as their guitar counterparts. For example, I think there is vintage a "RJ" version of the Jensen that was made for organ that doesn't sound the same as the "R". Maybe different cone, dustcap etc. That's not to say they wont work, just that they may not sound the same so not end up being what is expected. Note that the smooth cone speakers can tend to break up earlier and maybe not as bright. But that's probably a generalization. If money is tight, you may not want to take a flyer on the unknown no matter how attractive the price.

Comment

Exactly, don't want to take any risk, that link was just an exemple... The safe bet would be the "Jensen" from WGS for exemple (I know that's not exactly Jensen, that's not what I'm after anyway).
                      Maybe I'll send an email to them but they answer like one or two weeks later...

Or I think Jupiter does more vintage correct Jensens...

But most important question for now, why is it so rare to combine the Marshall head + American speakers ?
                      Last edited by JulianLM; 01-25-2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianLM View Post
                        Exactly, don't want to take any risk, that link was just an exemple... The safe bet would be the "Jensen" from WGS for exemple (I know that's not exactly Jensen, that's not what I'm after anyway).
                        Maybe I'll send an email to them but they answer like one or two weeks later...

Or I think Jupiter does more vintage correct Jensens...

But most important question for now, why is it so rare to combine the Marshall head + American speakers ?
                        FYI, Jupiter speakers are manufactured by WGS.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
                        Nope...

Comment

Working...
                        X