Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAD - Solid state hotness

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you also uses it for some of the gain tones. Everyone assumes because the name JAZZ in the product name and it can sound beautiful that it can't sound evil. These amps can get downright evil.

Here is James playing the JC 120 there are two Roland stacks (5:40) I wouldn't be surprised if Kirk were using one also.

Roland Major? Even my crazy butt doesn't need/want that.

I must have watched that video 100 times back in the day and never noticed that!! very cool

Comment

The head showed up. It is in mint condition. With a bit of vinyl cleaner, you think it was made last week. Decoding Roland JC serial numbers can be tricky but from what I can tell this was made at the end of 1984. I can's wait to plug this beast in tonight.

Comment

Wow! I like that better than the super heavy 2x12. I bet it sounds great, too! I wonder what Roland was thinking when they designed that 'distortion' circuit.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Wow! I like that better than the super heavy 2x12. I bet it sounds great, too! I wonder what Roland was thinking when they designed that 'distortion' circuit.
          You would think with all of the great/classic dirt stomps Roland/BOSS has made over the years the onboard distortion would be great. An onboard DS-1, SD-1 or even the classic Overdrive would have been serious additions to the amp. The onboard distortion can only be described IMO as a watered down, weak version of the BOSS Fuzz. The funny thing is people have been calling the distortion useless for 40 years, and Roland still hasn't changed it.

Comment

i just amazes me how that amp can sound magical clean and like it broken when you try and use the distortion

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i just amazes me how that amp can sound magical clean and like it broken when you try and use the distortion
              That's the first thing I thought when I finally the chance to use a JC120. I swear, with the way COSM modeling has gone the last decade, you'd think they had it in for themselves. Sheesh.

Comment

Makes you wonder why they didn't remove the distortion channel to save on manufacturing costs and keep the price slightly lower. They did though improve the Distortion channel on the recent JC-40 anniversary edition.

Comment

Here is a question if anyone can help me with I would appreciate greatly. The output of the amp is 60 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms per side. I have to use a stereo cab or two cabs with the amp. Is there a way for me to combine the two sides to run it into an 8-ohm mono cab? Or if I just run one side at 8 ohms and 60 watts into a cab, do I run a risk of screwing up the amp?

Comment

So silly question maybe, but is Boss' Chorus pedal even remotely close to what's on the JC-120?

--------------------------------------------------------------
                    '19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
                    Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12
                    --------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Isn't the magic of the 120 chorus the stereo effect with two separate speakers? I' haven't played one since ~1987 in college.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                        Isn't the magic of the 120 chorus the stereo effect with two separate speakers? I' haven't played one since ~1987 in college.
                        It is but live I am not going to find or want to deal with a sound guy that can double mic my amp and pan it in the house system. It would be cool and nice but live you have so many gremlins running around why add more. In the studio, it will be a must. Live I want the simplest setup possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mi_canuck View Post
                          So silly question maybe, but is Boss' Chorus pedal even remotely close to what's on the JC-120?
                          Yes, it is very close. Here is the kicker that will blow minds. I won't even use the chorus. I use a MoogerFooger for my chorus. I bought the amp for the pure balls it has and the fact it is one of the best platforms for effects I have ever used. Truth be told I never touched the chorus, distortion or reverb on my old JC 120 live. All of my effects came from racks or stomps.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Roland Major? Even my crazy butt doesn't need/want that.

Greatest movie of all time....or am i the only o e to have seen it?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Who cares how the amp's distortion sounds when you can run any pedal that you want through the clean channel and it will sound fantastic?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

First, AWESOME Score!!! I should have figured, but it never even dawned on me that this was avail as a head. Only ever seen the 2x12 combos. Played one in a hock shop once, awesome sounding chorus.
                                I never thought to get one cuz of the lack of gain, but yeah, pedal platform indeed!!
                                It must take pedals well if Kirk used one... Espec a wah pedal..... Sorry.. Had to say it...
                                They prolly never improve the dist circuit due to the clean chorus being its bread and butter.. But yeah, as mentioned, you would think they would build a Boss circuit into it, or drop the gain all together.. It never even dawned on me that they had a gain circuit as all Ive ever heard about them is that they are the shiz for cleans
                                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X