Winter NAMM 2017 highlights - Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winter NAMM 2017 highlights - Amps

I have the Fryette GP/DI and Power Station. Both are incredible products! The GP/DI can produce an array of tones at low to moderate volumes. The cab section makes the DI super versatile and easy for direct recording. The Headphone output is surprisingly good, which again, the cab section really helps dial it in. A perfect bedroom & recording amp! The Power Station basically adds a 50-watt 6L6 Fryette power section and makes the GP/DI a great live/gigging amp. The Power Station also is a dynamic, neutral sounding attenuator that really helps my other high-powered amps sound good at reasonable volumes.

Disclaimer: The GP/DI on the Deliverance setting through the Power Station sounds incredible, but not identical to the regular Deliverance 60/120.

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
      I have the Fryette GP/DI and Power Station. Both are incredible products! The GP/DI can produce an array of tones at low to moderate volumes. The cab section makes the DI super versatile and easy for direct recording. The Headphone output is surprisingly good, which again, the cab section really helps dial it in. A perfect bedroom & recording amp! The Power Station basically adds a 50-watt 6L6 Fryette power section and makes the GP/DI a great live/gigging amp. The Power Station also is a dynamic, neutral sounding attenuator that really helps my other high-powered amps sound good at reasonable volumes.

Disclaimer: The GP/DI on the Deliverance setting through the Power Station sounds incredible, but not identical to the regular Deliverance 60/120.
      I'd love to have this combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
        Well, since the dude that owns EHX also owns New Sensor (the parent company that produces Sovtek, amongst several other tube brands), I'd say it's a safe bet that the MiG 50 is a reissue of the old Sovtek amp.

And pretty much all the Friedman amps are a variation of the modded Marshall flavor. If you want details about it, look up Red_Label's threads about Freidman amps he's has/had. IIRC, he's had his hands on a Smallbox.
        Thanks Bro!! yeah, Ive read all of Red_Label's threads on all the Friedman goodies he's gotten to play with. And Yes, I know they are all Marshall based. I probably should have worded my question differently. Im sure it has a Marshall vibe, but wondered how far beyond Marshall gain it goes. I know the BE has more gain than most stock Marshalls. I think Stratguy answered the question in the below post.

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
        Glad to share, man. I couldn't keep all that stuff to myself!

Yes, safe to assume that MIG50 is at least similar to the Sovtek, though I don't know about "same".

Yes, I was told that the 2 drive channels of the Invective *are* a 5150 block letters b/c that's Misha's favorite amp.

The Smallbox literature says that channel 1 is plexi and channel 2 is modern high gain.

I tried the Smallbox 50 at NAMM. I didn't go to high gain because I had SO MUCH FUN at low and medium gain levels. It was really easy to dial in something like JTM (darker) on channel 1 and JMP (brighter) on channel 2. Both channels at low and medium gain had a "stringiness" that just invited one to dig into the strings and get the full texture of the signal chain from pick to string to pickup to valves and speaker. It was the first amp I've ever played that made me sound better than I am. I sounded *great*, and I never think that about myself.
        Cool info on the Invective!! And the Friedman sounds great too!! I need ALL the help I can get!!!! Though I think a BE is more my style as I believe it has more gain..
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
          Haha, I probably missed everything cool that you saw also. I tried the Friedman Smallbox 50 - AMAZING. Maybe the best amp I've ever played. It sang and danced and made me sound better than I am. I've never had an amp do that.

If I had known you were going to be there, I would have tried to meet up. Next year, maybe?
          Oh yeah! I was in and around the SD booth, and really concentrated on guitars in my searches. I really didn't play many amps, although I tried a Supro in the Eastman booth that was wonderful.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by backporchpicker View Post
            Great pictures. Thank you for taking the time to provide a glimpse, it must have been a wonderful couple of days, wish I was there.
            What I see though is a lot of glitz, kinda like amps are going Las Vegas.
            Really, has anyone ever improved on this and the original line up of Fender tube amps? Well, Marshall did come up with an offshoot that also set a standard which has not been achieved again
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]77959[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77960[/ATTACH]
            Fender has revisited these amps in recent years. But the modern player needs something different than the player that these amps were designed for. Modern tube amps have to functional and practical because touring needs have become so stringent. Many tour managers are even requiring the bands and players on tour to use digital preamps for consistent sound quality. Amps have too many different variables when it comes to sound, so amp builders have been forced to add new features that make an amplifier a much more central piece of a rig, as opposed to the older days when bands would use whatever they could rent. If you design your rig based around the Invective's midi features, then you almost need to have that amp head, lest you have to reprogram your rig every time new head is introduced. This makes certain amps a necessity in a rig.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              some people would suggest ken fischer, randall smith, dave reeves, alexander dumble and some others have put out some fine products. granted i love my old fender reverb and tweed amps but there has been plenty of great products since then
              Seems like a very tall order to match or improve on those Fenders you mentioned. But if there are one or two you think outdo all the rest what would those be? Always enjoy hearing something better than the former king of the hill. Thanks Jeremy!

Comment

trainwreck, mesa, hiwatt, and dumble are all amps that all that have played they agree are fantastic even if they arent their cup of tea. fender started with the rca tube manual, marshall started with fenders. amps dont need to be complicated to be amazing.

johnny, i would venture that old showman (after a tune up) would be as stable than any new digital amp. if a tour manager is running the gear the band is using then chances are its a band that i have no desire to see. does beyonce's guitar player have to play with what he is told? yes. does anyone tell bruce springsteen what to play? no. does coldplay have to play what they are told? no. madonna's guitar player? maybe. rolling stones? obviously not. if you go see an r&b show then i wouldnt be surprised if they are told they cant use amps since they arent the focus and for the most part might as well be a recording. for a rock band, i doubt there are many instances of a tour manager saying you have to use anything

Comment

Mincer did you make it to the Godin display and checkout the new gear. You must be getting closer to picking up that new axe.
                  If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

I did make it to the Godin booth! I tried a few of their archtops, which were very nice, except the necks were a little chunky for me this year. The ones I tried last year had necks that were a little smaller, I think. Still, a really nice sound for not a lot of $$. I compared them directly to the Eastmans.

Comment

Well maybe next year? I am leaning towards the Session LTD for my next purchase.
                      If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

I am always interested in Godin's lineup. Their guitars (solids, semis & archtops) are always inspiring. But their booth is usually mobbed, as it was when I went this year.

Comment

Working...
                        X