banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One 100 watt amp vs. two 50 watt amps. Which sounds louder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One 100 watt amp vs. two 50 watt amps. Which sounds louder?

A stereo rig is fun, although I do by using a modeler going into a PA. I hear it via stereo IEMs. Stereo has some limitations, though, as you have to be in a certain place in the audience to hear it well. I have used a Roland JC-120 in stereo, though. I am not carrying that around anymore.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The advantage IMO isn't volume, and it's not so much in having two 112s (a 212 would be because it's just a richer deeper-tone IMO).

I do think however that running two amps is better because you can have one gained-up with a hair-bit of mushiness and sizzle-fuzz and the other set more crisp and tight. (even though it's a completely un-needed pain in the)
      I absolutely love that kind of blended tone for the thick brutes, but I never bother myself for the low volumes I jam at home alone.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        Wow Bruce, that picture looks nothing like you ;-)
        Are you talking about the abs? I have been working out. Thanks for noticing.

On a serious note to the OP. Wattage is a unit of measure. Look at it this way, if you cut a wooden and metal rod to 6 inches, they both will be 6 inches. 12 ounces is 12 ounces in a plastic or glass container. The same with watts. 50 watts is 50 watts no matter the makeup of the amp. You can have perceived volume, and that can be changed with the type of room you are in (size, curtains, rugs, etc.....) or in your case how far apart you have the speakers. If you are thinking of running two amps simply to be louder you are better off just getting a 100-watt head it will be more than loud enough for any application.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          Are you talking about the abs? I have been working out. Thanks for noticing.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
            The advantage IMO isn't volume, and it's not so much in having two 112s (a 212 would be because it's just a richer deeper-tone IMO).

I do think however that running two amps is better because you can have one gained-up with a hair-bit of mushiness and sizzle-fuzz and the other set more crisp and tight.
            Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
              My original question pertains to SOLID STATE amps, not tube.
              Watts are watts, regardless of tube or solid state. The difference is that a tube amp can exceed the advertised wattage (RMS, clean) at the cost of distortion while a solid state amp is designed so that the volume control can not allow the amp to clip.

If you turned up a Marshall 1959 to approximately 5-6 (depends on the year due to different B+ voltages, so it could be 3-4 or 7-8) it would be 100 watts clean, just like a maxed out solid state amp, but at 10 would be a heavily distorted 150-180 watts (again, depending on the year and the B+).

I just needed to state that because tube watts vs solid state watts is a fallacy. It's advertising vs distortion.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
              Last edited by GilmourD; 01-29-2017, 11:35 AM.
              Nope...

Comment

Working...
              X