Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bray or Friedman for van halen ?

Hello,

i need some advices. I can't choose between those 2 amps cause i can't test them (where im living no one sells them).

So what's your advice if we are talking about vh sound ? (no need of versatility)

I'll take any advice even if i would prefer advices of guys who owned both of the amps.

Which one sounds closer and which one doesn't need to be cranked.

Re: Bray or Friedman for van halen ?

Suhr SL68?
    Nope...

Comment

Save some money and buy a Landry LS100G3:

Here's a quick video featuring my 3x12 cab loaded with Celestion Creamback M speakers, and my G3 with some new Sozo Nexgen capacitors. I recorded it with a Z...

Messing around with my LS50G3 and a 2x12 cab with Lynchbacks
      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
        Save some money and buy a Landry LS100G3:

Here's a quick video featuring my 3x12 cab loaded with Celestion Creamback M speakers, and my G3 with some new Sozo Nexgen capacitors. I recorded it with a Z...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97ry-fEZ5c
        I don't want to be mean landry amps sound good but it doesn't seem to get as close as the brays and friedmans. I better go for a soldano than landry.

I think it's worth it to pay a lot for a good amp because 50% of your tone comes from the amp 20% the pickup 10% the way you pick and hold the strings 10% the speakers 10% the materials of your tremolo and guitar.

So i don't really care for the price of the amp.

Mr suhr amps sound very good. He worked on vh plexi during a long time. But it lacks something. Perhaps the variac

But i want an amp that doesnt need the variac to reach that tone :P.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat_rocks_and_rolls View Post
          I don't want to be mean landry amps sound good but it doesn't seem to get as close as the brays and friedmans. I better go for a soldano than landry.

I think it's worth it to pay a lot for a good amp because 50% of your tone comes from the amp 20% the pickup 10% the way you pick and hold the strings 10% the speakers 10% the materials of your tremolo and guitar.

So i don't really care for the price of the amp.

Mr suhr amps sound very good. He worked on vh plexi during a long time. But it lacks something. Perhaps the variac

But i want an amp that doesnt need the variac to reach that tone :P.
          At the end of the day the choice is yours but I have owned several Friedman amps. PT20, BE100, JJ100, and the Smallbox. They're all gone while the Landry stays!
          Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
          "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

I'm bad at math so someone help me. If 50% of Eddies tone came from his amp, and clone amp A sounds 85% like Eddies amp, while clone amp B sounds 80% like Eddies amp and clone amp C only sounds 75% like Eddies amp ... what percentage of Eddies tone would Eddie get from clone amp A, clone amp B and clone amp C, respectively AND comparatively? ...

And, what percentage of Eddies tone would YOU get from clone amp A, clone amp B and clone amp C, respectively and comparatively? ...
            Last edited by Darg1911; 02-06-2017, 07:38 AM.

Comment

My DSL works great with my EVH guitar its not a plexi though friedman's are awesome you cant loose
              tone slut
              Marshall DSL 40C
              Fender EVH Striped Series
              Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
              Fender Squier Tele Affinity
              Mogami cables

Comment

Methinks you need to try more speakers. The speakers can make or break your love for an amp.
                --------------------------------------------------------
                1973 Aria 551
                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I agree with Coma, speakers and cabinets make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                    I'm bad at math so someone help me. If 50% of Eddies tone came from his amp, and clone amp A sounds 85% like Eddies amp, while clone amp B sounds 80% like Eddies amp and clone amp C only sounds 75% like Eddies amp ... what percentage of Eddies tone would Eddie get from clone amp A, clone amp B and clone amp C, respectively AND comparatively? ...

And, what percentage of Eddies tone would YOU get from clone amp A, clone amp B and clone amp C, respectively and comparatively? ...
                    In fact his backup amp of 50w and his vox were only used when his main amp had problems. And for the solos, intros where you have 2 guitars. Every vh 78 song was recorded with his marshall super lead with a single cabinet loaded with t1221 greenbacks and jbl d120f. The sound coming from his marshall his unique. Like all marshall from that time.

The objective of buying an amp that emulates vh halen super lead is to help comon mortals like us to sound like him. So yes if you have a clone amp that makes the sound of a cranked plexi under variac you are getting closer. You can't sound exactly like him but i think you can get very close.

If we take all variables it seems difficult but i still think the amp and the pickup are the main goals to get closer to his signature sound.

For exemple a bray could sound 85% of vh plexi which is 50 of the tone.

I'll still need a swamp ash body maple neck guitar with a 9k a2 pickup. A tremolo with a stell block. A cabinet with greenbacks and jbl d120f. Light gauge strings green or purple from d'addario (the ones eddie uses). I think the only thing that will be lacking his the way eddie play it the last 10%.

Considering that clone amps aren't perfect i think you can reach 80% of his tone.

Here you have a bray getting played with all the elements i listed before it sounds very close...

This is a tone test of the EVH Frankenstein pickup through my David Bray 4550 plexi amplifier. Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Pat_rocks_and_rolls; 02-06-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

`FWIW, the Frankenstein has a hard ash body, not swamp ash, it's heavier, harder, and brighter. Other than that, it sounds like you have your mind made up, and I don't have direct experience with the Bray or Friedman amps so I can't offer anything there.

I mentioned speakers and cabinets because in my younger days I had a 4-12 cabinet loaded with some kind of cheap 35W Celestions that sounded like crap. Unfortunately I went through a few nice amps that I wish I had back before I realized that the cabinet was the problem. So, I found a Marshall JCM800 4-12 cab and it was night and day, so I give a lot of credit to the speakers and cabinets, much more than 10% of the overall tone.

Comment

In my "prime" I wouldn't have been able to reach 50% of his tone with 100% of his gear. All power to you for buying and trying.

Comment

No clue on Bray, never heard or played them. Friedman are great, and can probably get you there. Which Friedman are you looking at? From what I hear, the Smallbox may be your best bet, followed maybe by a BE.

Comment

Skip to the 12 minute mark if you don't wanna watch the whole video.

Nope...

Comment

Assuming "corect" everything elsem..no doubt I would take a Bray any day of the week over a Friedman. No matter if it was EVH tone or anything else. And I'd look at metropolous too. That metroplex is insane.

Bogner Helios/Ecstasy.

PRS HX/DA if you want "unmodded" plexi tones.
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                              X