banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmmm.. Rectoverb 50, Rectoverb 25, or other... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm.. Rectoverb 50, Rectoverb 25, or other... ?

So I'm selling my combos and going with a Head/Cab setup. I'm trying to decide between the Rectoverb 50 or 25 head. I'm picking up a recto 2x12 cab and I can't seem to find anything good in a comparison between those 2. I'm sure the 25 will be more friendly to my apartment... lol. But does it sound as full as the 50w version?

I already have a Blackstar HT5R and Rectoverb 50 series 1 Combo if that makes any difference.

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by NYcibbyRyder; 02-13-2017, 12:24 AM.

Re: Hmmm.. Rectoverb 50, Rectoverb 25, or other... ?

Honestly, the only thing that would sway me one way or another is if size and weight were any issue. I've played a dual rec and mini, although not side by side, and the mini didn't sound drastically better at bedroom volumes or at loud conversation/TV volumes. You have that Blackstar for when you need to turn it way down. Unless you're playing obscenely loud or need the extra bottom end punch of the 50, the 25 would be a great choice. Used prices are typically comparable between the two, the 50 will hold its value more. I'd try to wait and jump on the first killer deal you find for either one.

The 50 looks cooler.

Comment

The old 50s sounded great at low volumes. I had a series 1 rov50 until last month and it was great, the master really works well. As many will recite the same facts let me be the first and hopefully last: the difference in volume between 25 and 50 watts will be negligible (3db) so the main differences will be from the amount of headroom and the power tubes. Personnaly: for the price the big ones command on the used market, I'd grab those before the minis, unless weight and size were an issue.

Comment

I have a Rectoverb 25 and a couple 100w Duals.

First off... the ROV25 is one of the best sounding Rectifiers I've owned. It's really cool in that it's a mix of modern sounding high gain with old school, low powered amp response. It has excellent high gain sounds like you'd expect from a Recto, but it really shines in those lower gain/mid gain settings were the 100w Dual's sound sound a little stiff and dry.

That said... my Dual Rectifier does very low volumes better than the ROV25 and playing power chords through the ROV25 won't cave in your chest or crush any skulls.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

50w r-verb or standard single, especially since they're a steal used now. Go series2 if you like EL34s on occasion, plus it won't be as old either.

Comment

Hmmm.. Rectoverb 50, Rectoverb 25, or other... ?

I was looking into the Dual Recto, the new one looks awesome with the selectable power. But I can't afford $2,000 lol. The older used ones are reasonable though. I was worried about a 100 watt amp being too loud to be useable in an apt so I didn't bother considering it. Thoughts?

Last edited by NYcibbyRyder; 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
              The old 50s sounded great at low volumes. I had a series 1 rov50 until last month and it was great, the master really works well. As many will recite the same facts let me be the first and hopefully last: the difference in volume between 25 and 50 watts will be negligible (3db) so the main differences will be from the amount of headroom and the power tubes. Personnaly: for the price the big ones command on the used market, I'd grab those before the minis, unless weight and size were an issue.
              How'd you get it to sound best low between the output and master volumes?

Comment

Originally posted by NYcibbyRyder View Post
                I was looking into the Dual Recto, the new one looks awesome with the selectable power. But I can't afford $2,000 lol. The older used ones are reasonable though. I was worried about a 100 watt amp being too loud to be useable in an apt so I didn't bother considering it. Thoughts?
                If this is going to be an apartment amp then I'd suggest the ROV25 or Mini Rectifier. The amp's volume knobs are really touchy at low volumes, but putting a volume pedal in the effects loop will help make it easier to dial in very-low volumes.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

But I wanna crush skulls....

Seriously though how's the difference in fullness at lower volumes between the 2? I do crank the Blackstar when nobody is home and I get a day off but at night it's either low volumes or rocksmith depending on how I feel. I guess through the 2x12 that should help the thickness of sound, and Olas play through of the ROV25 sounds awesome.

Comment

May I offer a suggestion? Two amps.
                    I replaced my rov50 with a multi-watt dual and it sounds great at lowvolumes. However, it won't do the nighly practice without everybody hearing you.
                    If you need the 50/100 watt amp elsewhere than in the house, by all means get one, it's a great amp. If you need to practice at night too, buy a little hotone heart attack. 5 watts, solid state and great rectifier sound at house/bedroom volumes. Really. I bought one a year ago and I absolutely love it to death for what it does.

Comment

I already have the Blackstar HT5r for that.

Comment

Then why inquire about lower volumes?

Comment

I asked about the difference between the 2 at lower volumes. Which sounds better, and if there's a big difference in how full the 25 sounds vs the 50.

Comment

gotcha. If it were me I'D go with the 50. I really liked it. The dual sounds great too but even in 50w mode it's not as good at very low volume.

Comment

Awesome, thanks man

Comment

Working...
                              X