banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone knows something about wiring a Solid State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone knows something about wiring a Solid State?

Recently I´ve started modifying the wiring on my guitars, and the next thing I wanna learn is how to wire an amp(and understand how it works). I've been searching for a while how to wire up my own amp, but I don´t understand the schemes I´ve found. Can anyone explain me the basics of amp wiring for dummies??

Thanks!

Re: Does anyone knows something about wiring a Solid State?

Might be good place to start. There should be plenty schemes for simple amplifier circuits around web. All amplifiers are basically just variations of those basic schemes.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

There really isn't a way to do amps "for dummies" - you have to know at least the basics of electronics in general before you jump from guitar wiring (easy) to amps (complicated - even "simple" amps). Not to discourage you - if you discipline yourself and have a true desire to learn, then you will succeed eventually. It'll just take a lot of time and effort to understand what's being done, how to troubleshoot, build, modify, etc. I'd say to start with building pedals first. They're a step up from guitars, but not near the difficulty of doing amp work (which also can pose electric shock hazards, and you have to be careful about it at all times). Start with simple boost circuits, move your way up to difficult pedals to get a hold on trouble-shooting/problem solving skills, build a simple preamp, and then study power supplies, power amplification, phase inversion, amplifier classifications, current/voltage/power/resistors/capacitors, magnetism, inductors, transformers, rectifiers, valves, transistors, diodes, etc. Also, invest in a decent multimeter (a $20 will cut it for guitar, but will be lacking for amp work) and an ESR meter. An oscilloscope would also be invaluable if you do more and more electronics work. On the academic side - the more math you know, the better off you'll be because then you'll be able to understand and appreciate more of the Electrocity and Magnetism side of physics.

Best of luck.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

I thought that boost pedals where just small valued amps, I´ll try to make some boost/overdrive pedals and some modifications of them, and then continue trying with amps. Thank you!

Comment

well... how much you understand depends on how much electricity you know. (duh, too obvious?) if you don't have much electrical, and don't know how a transistor works then then you need to study up. or, it might be good to take a class or two at your local community college. heres a really good site on how TUBE amps work....

once you understand how the signal is generated and processed, it should be easier to the understand the difference in solid state amps. they do the same thing, just with different devices. also, transistor amps have a lot more stuff in their circuits than these old tube diagrams. more modern tube amp designs have as much stuff as a trans amp

or maybe....

Author James Butterfield takes a unique approach in presenting the material by writing it as a dialog between an instructor and a student.

kina stupid 1950s yap but it does hit some high points on transistors
            Last edited by beezerboy; 02-09-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X